Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: HOW-TO: REMOVE HEADER NO ENGINE ROTATE NEEDED (with pics)

sent you pm, just looked at my bike and the pics above and i only have 1 hose and 4 small cables which i cut the cable ties off and moved aside and then wiggled out the pipe.

Thanks I'll give it a go that way and see if I can get it out without pulling the shock & fan.

sticky tape or sticky putty that is smart those little nuts can be hard to find , i dropped the frist one . it took about 20 min for me to fish it out , it got stuck under some of lines.

I have used the sticky stuff on duct tape too just scrape it off, used that when you cant enough tape to hold it because tiny nuts n socket to tiny .

on aircrafts I also have used and i like using it in extremely tight or odd places(like back behind where cant see the bolt or screw not even with mirror usually because the hole to reach it is tiny itself) to get to , is a spray-on adhesive (like the kind you use to put a headliner on in a car). you can sray on a little or alot , if need be spray your fingers so you wont drop the screw or bolt in tight spots . it washes off pretty easy with lava soap or gojoe soap.

Ok removed the headers on my 2010 XB12Ss and I didn't need to remove the shock & fan or even the V bracket & other items at the front.

It worked out to be a lot easier then I thought.

Basically I removed the seat & R/H scoop to access the o2 sensor plugs, then removed the muffler and unbolted the headers and they just came out with a little maneuvering.

Thanks for the info & help guys

Now to get them off to the ceramic coaters and some new exhaust port gaskets for the installation.

Also I haven't tried removing the retaining rings yet is there an easy way or any tricks to it?

Got the retaining rings off just using some pliers.

And here is a pic of the bike with the headers removed so you can see what else I had to removed for access, hope this helps.

I didnt notice anyone saying anything about getting them back on...Im having a really hard time tighenting down the right rear nut on the back part of the header, i have a socket that swivels and a bendable extension but I cant get enough tq out of the extension to tighten it anymore than 3/4 of the way and a straight extension doesnt fit... I was so aggravated with it last night I just gave up but its all I need to do to finish my header wrap and get the bike back together...any good ideas? or tool combos lol

*I did think to myself for a second last night that if the frame wasnt the gas tank Id just drill a hole for an extension then put a rubber bung in it when im done, that would make it super easy haha

I used the some tools to install as I did to remove, 1/4 drive uni, 6" long extension and the right size socket.

Also the nuts are only meant to be torqued down to 6 or 7 ft lbs, check the manual for the correct figure.

I see you have an R model, maybe there is less access from the side with the R then the Ss.

72-96 inch lbs

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast