Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Crank case breather alternative!!! The new and improved Krankvent!!

Hey my buddy showed me these because he used them on his turbo 3000gt to keep a constant vacuum in the motor. I have not tryed this was wondering if anyone has tryed something to this nature?? Im just not a big fan of more hoses and the crap you have to poor out of the tube every 100 miles!!

So here you go check this out!! When i get the funds im all over it...

Scroll down till you see the Buell/SA
    http://www.et-performance.com/kv.html#Pre93

BUELL & SPECIAL APPLICATIONS:
    Racers & engine builders have asked for a simple, compact KrankVent™ that connects to the head breather ports & here it is. These compact bolts have the KrankVents built into the heads! Available in ½” threads (shown) for EVO’s or 3/8” threads for Twin Cam engines. Kit includes 2 Buell/SA bolts, instructions.

so you just run a hose from that then?

wouldn't you still need to run a line for all the fluid? I dont see that much of a benifit from the way you were looking of getting rid of hoses

i was thinking the same thing.. that "crap" needs to go somewhere, if it isn't coming out its being held in, correct unless there is some kind of diaphragm

Uhh, wouldnt those just replace the stock crankcase breather?? You would still have to do the same kind of thing...

you could just do it like this:
    -krank vents in the head
    -tube running from the head to the stock breather locations

Essentially your replacing the stock crank vents that blow oil all over the place with these that are a one way check valve that does not allow the oil to spray all over your intake.

the point of the breather reroute is to keep the oil mist spray and vapor and crankcase gases from entering in to the intake . the gases and oil mist and vapors dont burn very well and cause your engine to run at BELOW its' OPTIMUM level and with the breather reroute. you will get better mpg(a little bit) alot better performance like the engine was designed for, and no stuttering which was caused by the oil mist , vapors & bad gases from the crankcase going into the intake . the engine needs to burn oxygen and fuel not oil mist vapors or bad gases that dont burn well or dont burn at all, it kinda like your lungs it needs oxygen not smoke to work .

where would you put those at , as they are to small to fit in the pcv valves holes and you still need to run a hoses from them unless you direct them in to intake defeating in the purpose of breather reroute.the xb does not have holes like your pic above that is a harley or possibly older tuber buell with airfilter on side of the engine.I suggest re reading the breather reroute thread and why it is needed. TO GET RID OF THE BAD crankcase GASES and the oil mist and vapors.
    http://www.buellxb.com/Buell-XB-Foru...route-hoses/6/
    http://www.buellxb.com/Buell-XB-Foru...-Mod-with-pics

from the service manual:
    Crankcase Breathing System ,see fig.3-114. Presure created in the flywheel area on the piston downstroke is released through the REED VALVE into the gear case. From there a mixtre of crankcase air and oil mist is vented up the push rod covers to the upper rocker box(top of head).
    see fig.3-115. Air is allowed to escape the rocker boxes by exiting the postive crankcase vent(PCV) valves(4)
    locatedon top of the rocker boxes (top of rocker cover/valve cover).From the PCV valves the air enters the crankcase breather hoses(2,& 3). The crankcase breather hoses route through the air cleaner base plate (1) to the air box where it isdirected inside the air filter element and back into the engine. the oil mist collects and eventually returns to the crankcase through oil passageways in the cylinder heads. that how it is originally designed to work. maybe that might help you understand it somewhat better. see figures below..

to add ; you could put in a pvc pipe end cap into the hole where the pcv valve goes into, and drill a hole into the end cap and screw your "krank vent" into it , but without a hose with a filter on the end somewhere , and just the "krank vent" with no hose you run the risk of dust and other debri getting into it and clogging it up which would cause excessive pressure to build up in crankcase ,thats not good. or just as bad, it could get clogged open from heat causing the oil and crap inside it to gum up and clogg its diaphragm open letting the oil mist and vapors to shoot all over the top of the engine.

there is secondery Purpose to the breather reroute and that is to allow any water vapors to escape to prevent any problems that the condensation that has accumulated in the crankcase and rockerbox.

but over time the valve or diaphragm in it will fail (like the pcv valve in it now has done), when that happens it will most likely fail in a way that it wont keep any oil mist from coming out of it. and will need replacement , with the breather reroute the only thing that might need replacement is the small air filter if ist not in higher mounted area and away from the main hose if it gets clogg from oil and crap and dirt fromoutside, and drain catch can.
    '
    I'm not saying it is bad ideal , kind of good ideal , just saying it will need replacement sooner or later, and still needs hoses with filter.

Good information! I forget about reed valve.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast