Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: HD at it again

ctmallam-wow you blame the workers!!! for making a good wage!!! that's F-up, coming from a company that paid 100 million dollars to shut down Buell inc., in the worst economy since the great depression. Harley had a buyer to take this division on (can/am)but choose to take Buell to its grave at a 100 million dollar price tag

Thank you Labor Unions for putting people out of work.
    Yeah man I think you completely missed the point of this one. Labor unions are meant to keep workers from getting screwed over. HD on the other hand is so intent on making some cash that they're actually willing to pack up and move else where just to take back what their employees have worked for. If there wasn't a union they would've just cut their wages and screwed their schedules. Union or not this is because HD is looking to make some cash at the expense of their workers.

yea, I guess thats why the auto maker with the largest, strongest,union work force of any company in the history of this country ,didnt need bailing out and owes its sucess to paying its employees 2. dollars a day more than its competitors at the very start of its sucess. FORD and the worse thing for buissness is when people dont earn enough money to buy products made in there own country. but hey,dont worry it will all just trickle down some day,keep waiting,its working great.

labor unions. what a joke.

labor unions. what a joke.
    Why is it a joke? Protecting workers rights is funny?,I don't get it. Bargaining a decent wage and benefits for your family ,is that hysterical?. What is a joke is a corporation closing shop ,dump there work force ,with no obligation ...but pay out mega bonuses to CEOs (millions)..Race to the bottom is coming!!!!

if they did move over seas people will still buy them. nobody sticks together. unions are dying because no one sticks together. outsource harley it'll be like buying a harley-kia. still made in the state but not really.

i strongly agree with boreas. way to go.

Why is it a joke? Protecting workers rights is funny?,I don't get it. Bargaining a decent wage and benefits for your family ,is that hysterical?.
    What's kinda funny, is even the Sorry workers get their rights protected and the same wage as those that bust their butt. At least in a non-Union shop, you can drop "dead-weight" like that without wading through the Union bull-crap. Just my 2 cents.

I think unions are like cops, a necessary evil. without them things would surely be worse for everyone. however, how much is... the guy holding the "slow" sign on the side of the road (for example) really worth? Unions get some people paid more than they should be paid and employers know this. They also seem to protect the lazy from the employer to some extent. Im not union and have never been and my wage is fair in my opinion. However, when business is slow, I make less (I am paid based on output). Im sure it could be better, but then when things get slow, lay-offs would surely come for me which Ive not seen yet.

I have worked for both union and non-unionized companies. While I agree that the ideal of a union protecting workers rights is worthwhile, in reality what often happens is that the union handcuffs the management in ways that prevent the company from remaining competitive. In a global economy like we have today this is dangerous to the long term health of a country. You can see this when you compare the autoworkers in my area, the non-union (Toyota, Honda) are in a much better position than the unionized factories (GM,Chrysler). In a economic downturn like we recently had you can see a reality check with the unionized workers, realizing that the security the union promised is just not there.

I still think that the best business models that exist involve a high amount of employee ownership, involvement and empowerment.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast