Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Blown Fuel Pump Fuse

I took it in to the dealership, gave them the reference number, explained the issue once again, told them to check the wiring and to update the fuel pump to the 2010 model pump.
    I called my local dealership, they said the 2010 pump was completely different from the one on my 2008. Anyone know if this is true?? I don't trust the stealership.

From what I can gather, I'm sure the pumps are different. But I'm pretty sure they would still fit into 08-09 models. Correct me if I'm wrong, anyone.

I just wanted to update on this topic. I noticed my fuel pump fuse began burning again on an extremely hot day when my gas tank had low fuel. I have been very diligent about keeping ample fuel in my tank and the problem is not persisting.

I always keep 2 spare fuses under my seat. I still have a replacement fuel pump chilling on my garage shelf just in case. I have already outline a replacement job if it is necessary in the future. But so far so good.

I had this issue when low on fuel with my 09 Euro spec XB9SX. bike 3 years old (next week) and this has happened three times. After the first time I carry spare 10amp fuses (3) in my bike jacket.

Re; earlier posts; mine has fuse ratings and positioning diagram moulded into lid of fuse box, also there is a spare 10A and ? other fuse within. Maybe this is only on euro spec models?

Ha, go figure. Can't believe this is so common. I just bought a 2009 xb12s with 200 miles on it. Had this issue the first time yesterday. Can't wait to buy a new pump.....already. Regardless of this issue though, this bike is great:D

Ha, go figure. Can't believe this is so common. I just bought a 2009 xb12s with 200 miles on it. Had this issue the first time yesterday. Can't wait to buy a new pump.....already. Regardless of this issue though, this bike is great
    I was burning fuel pump fuses but no longer. Basically:

- Try to keep the gasoline topped off as frequently as possible
    - Keep spare fuses with you

The fuses tend to burn on warmer days when the fuel is low because the pump needs to be bathed in gasoline to work properly.

Anything you can do to keep the bike cooler helps. I'm running Amsoil full synthetic oil 20W50, my bike LOVES that stuff. I also installed a RSS which funnels cool air over my engine while I am riding which significantly lowers operating temperature.

I haven't burned a fuse for over a year now. I purchased a spare fuel pump thinking I would need to do a replacement, but I haven't needed it, so its been sitting in my garage for over 2 years now.

I was burning fuel pump fuses but no longer.Â* Basically:

- Try to keep the gasoline topped off as frequently as possible
    - Keep spare fuses with you

The fuses tend to burn on warmer days when the fuel is low because the pump needs to be bathed in gasoline to work properly.

Anything you can do to keep the bike cooler helps.Â* I'm running Amsoil full synthetic oil 20W50, my bike LOVES that stuff.Â* I also installed a RSS which funnels cool air over my engine while I am riding which significantly lowers operating temperature.Â*

I haven't burned a fuse for over a year now.Â* I purchased a spare fuel pump thinking I would need to do a replacement, but I haven't needed it, so its been sitting in my garage for over 2 years now.
    Thanks for this response. Good call on the fuel, I'll definitely keep that in mind going forward. Now, I'm for sure buying a RSS asap. I went to the HD dealer today just to get an idea of the fuel pump replacement cost. Yea....hope I don't have to do that.:D

Blowing Fuel Pump Fuses

This is an old post, but you guys have a lot of good information in here, so I'm gonna resurrect it :-)

Seems I am now also a victim of the fuel pump fuse blowing.

My 2010 XB12 Scg (10K Miles) is not hot (sitting in the garage) and has a full tank of gas. So neither of the above apply to my situation. The problem just started. Not after a ride or having done any maintenance. I turn on the key (with a new fuse 10A or 15A), bike fires up and within seconds, I can see the fuse blow (the seat is off). Put in a new fuse, turn key and pump primes, then in a few seconds it blows. I've done these tests three times now - i'm done testing.

Since I have a 2010, I'm assuming I have the new version of the fuel pump that is not susceptible to the wire chafing issues.

I'm gonna pull the pump and do a visual inspection to see if there is anything obvious with the pump or wires. I would think that a voltmeter measurement across the various pins would indicate if there was a short, but don't know what to measure for.

Greg

The only thing I can think of is that there is a chaffed wire. The 09+ fuel pumps are supposed to be better, but that does not mean it can't happen.

Quote Originally Posted by gseale View Post
    This is an old post, but you guys have a lot of good information in here, so I'm gonna resurrect it :-)

Seems I am now also a victim of the fuel pump fuse blowing.

My 2010 XB12 Scg (10K Miles) is not hot (sitting in the garage) and has a full tank of gas. So neither of the above apply to my situation. The problem just started. Not after a ride or having done any maintenance. I turn on the key (with a new fuse 10A or 15A), bike fires up and within seconds, I can see the fuse blow (the seat is off). Put in a new fuse, turn key and pump primes, then in a few seconds it blows. I've done these tests three times now - i'm done testing.

Since I have a 2010, I'm assuming I have the new version of the fuel pump that is not susceptible to the wire chafing issues.

I'm gonna pull the pump and do a visual inspection to see if there is anything obvious with the pump or wires. I would think that a voltmeter measurement across the various pins would indicate if there was a short, but don't know what to measure for.

Greg
    Greg, Just to double check unplug the fuel pump and turn on the key see if the fuse blows, have you done any thing else with the wiring just recently? Sorry but I gotta ask.

Last edited by Silverrider; 07-18-2017 at 01:42 AM.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast