Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: DYI Fork Seals ...

as soon as you start seeing the oil rings on the forks use http://sealmate.net/ 5 bucks on ebay

Hello, I am doing a set of fork seals now on my 09 XB12R, I have gotten the fork in a wooden vise and cap loosened. But since this is the first set I have done I am not confident on the spring tension behind the cap or even how far the cap comes out before I can expect the release of spring pressure. Can someone give me an idea of how much force the spring will have behind it. (all ready dialed down all the preload I can). Also does anyone know about how far the cap comes out before the release? Pics would be excellent if anyone has them (probably not i expect). Thanks in advance.

Zombie thread! Mwahahaha...

Make sure you have the small snap ring off the re-bound adjuster (blue thing) so you can take the preload nut completely off.

The cap has very fine threads and will unscrew less than 1/2" or so. Keep slight pressure with your hand above the cap (on the back of the ratchet or wrench) so it doesn't shoot off and get lost in the shop, but it won't be very hard at all, maybe an inch of free spring play?

You can push it together by hand on re-assembly.

Note: Follow the specific instructions in the manual regarding the re-bound setting (long pointy thing that screws to the blue thing) when you re-assemble them. Once you are done you'll go "Wow! That was easy!"
    Last edited by Cooter; 11-07-2015 at 08:17 PM.

Here you go

Fanstastic, thanks. Its a start. There do seem to be differences like removing the preload adjuster, mine seems integrated and about 1/4 the size outside the fork. But nevertheless, vids are great
    Last edited by Slickit; 11-07-2015 at 09:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    Zombie thread! Mwahahaha...

Make sure you have the small snap ring off the re-bound adjuster (blue thing) so you can take the preload nut completely off.

The cap has very fine threads and will unscrew less than 1/2" or so. Keep slight pressure with your hand above the cap (on the back of the ratchet or wrench) so it doesn't shoot off and get lost in the shop, but it won't be very hard at all, maybe an inch of free spring play?

You can push it together by hand on re-assembly.

Note: Follow the specific instructions in the manual regarding the re-bound setting (long pointy thing that screws to the blue thing) when you re-assemble them. Once you are done you'll go "Wow! That was easy!"
    And what specific instruction is there for an 09 XB12R? I do not see anything in my owners manual and I do no have a service manual. Copy paste please if anyone has this info.

Great job azmidget, thanks for taking the time to post the video

Slickit if you end up doing your bike you should also make a vid to show how your forks are different. Could help someone else down the road.

Im going to take pics and post them here
    as well as an alternative method of overcoming the spring that seems good.

Nice, excited to see what you come up with as I am going to have to do the forks on my uly soon.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast