Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: $800 oil leak

I took my bike to the dealer to have the 10k service done. After a week they call and tell me that among other (minor) things I have a leaky rocker box. the service manager said that it would be a day and a half to do it, and cost ~$800. Now, I'm already paying $500+ for the service. I told them not now, maybe this winter. Now that I think about it, and search some relevant threads, I'm wondering if he meant the total would be $800.

Not that I can't afford $800, but damn that seems like a lot. What do you think?

Well, they would have to do an engine rotate which they would probably charge you 3-4 hours labor for and probably another 1-2 hours to replace the rocker box gasket, and then parts cost... I would bet the $800 is on top of the $500, but thats why they're called stealerships..

Im not looking forward to the 10K service. It will go down next summer.

I keep hearing that it takes a week, whats up with that?

its about 2.5 hours for both gaskets, times whatever there labor charge is, probably around $300

The 10K service includes service on the front forks. I think it's replacing the oil and gaskets. I got the 10K service done without doing the front forks because they felt fine and my bike is pretty new. The dealership said it was okay to do the 10K service without it. That saved some money and let me get the 10K service done in one day while I waited. The forks take a long time and are a pain to do yourself from what I hear.

My front and rear rocker boxes and stator (whatever that is) started leaking just before the 10K service. I had to bring it back the next weekend. It was a day-long job. They had to drop the motor to fix it. I bet $800 is the right ballpark. Fortunately it was all fixed under warranty. They said it's a common problem.

wow thats crap. i personally know how long it takes to do both of those. why would he charge you for a gasket that is already part of a 10k

I had a bad rocker gasket also. I had to rotate the motor and buy the gasket for about $30. It took about 4 hours with a bike lift. It was not hardest thing to do with a lift but it did take a little while. nice weekend project. but now i have NO leak. the new gaskets are a bit bigger so they seal better.

Is there a specific year that having this prob, or are they all even the 90/10's having this rocker gasket problem. I just noticed some oil comming out of the air filter connected to the hose comming from the intake reroute.

Try an economic comparison what are the benefits and consequences?
    1. Fix it you pay $800 and no more leaking oil.
    2. Don’t fix it spend $4 on a quart of oil once a month
    800/4 = 200 months (16.7 years) before it would cost more to to live with the problem than to have it fixed.
    I had a leaking transmission on a car once. It was cheaper and easier to keep putting more ATF in than pay $1200 for a new transmission which is more than I paid for the car.

you have a point ebeo1, if it was a car i'd say go your route, however i dont want leaking oil from my motorcycle possibly getting on my tire ever. so its best to fix it one way or another.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast