Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: brake light problems

ok so heres where im at so far. my running light works but when i hit both the front and rear brakes they dont illuminate. checked the brake/horn fuse. its fine. started checking with ohlm meter. at the metal tab at the rear brake no power on the actual brake part. power on running light. test at the connector near where ur rear master cylinder is. again no power getting to the brake wire. Now from here everything is inside the harness. can someone please help me out on what to do next....

Are our bulbs dual filament? If they are I'd start by replacing the bulb.

already done that. bulb is good. assume that im not a complete idiot. and not getting power there to start as i stated...

sry if i just was an ass hole. not my intentions dallas. just super frustrated with it right now. got too much goin on to deal with it sorta thing. but my apologies. i still need suggestions though

Its cool man. I just got done working on my brothers bike that had a short in the ignition switch. I completely understand the frustration. When we were tryign to figure out what wire was shorted I just would bypass one wire at a time until I figured out which one it was. I know it long and tedious but I really didn't want to take out the wiring harness.

Not that this will help your situation but I'm having the same problem but only with the front brake. The rear still lights up. No loose connections or blown fuses. Just need to find some time to take it apart and put it back together... For some reason that usually works.
    I'm wondering if my switch which the lever presses is bad.
    Tyler have you looked at or found the wiring diagram for the lights? Might help narrow the problem a little more.

ok got mine fixed. had a wire the burn a connector. just bypassed it and it now works fine. thanks for the help. and good luck riderdie. just get an olhm meter and check. but that kinda sounds like it could just be a front brake switch

Same problem here no power both switch

We're was your problem coming from ?

had a wire the burn a connector
    which connector? don't stop there, trace it back to see what caused it to happen in the first place, you may have put a band aid on for now and it could happen again...cause and effect, you found the effect, now find the cause if you can

The wire you bypassed should be fused with the same size the original circuit required. Was the burned wire the result of it rubbing on something? It is possible that the fuse in the box was the wrong size and the wire burnt through at the weakest point due to a dead short. If the terminal at the connector is loose this will cause excessive heat and can melt the connector. Remember these puppies shake like bitch. If that is the case you would be better off replacing the connector and the pins inside. In some cases you can purchase better connectors that won't give you these issues.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast