Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: Getting pulled over? Here are some tips.

Quote Originally Posted by jriffe108 View Post
    Most officers are decent guys, best advice, don't give them a reason to stop you. If you are stopped for a violation you know you are guilty of, just own up to it. You may get a citation or a warning, but arguing on the side of the road is the worst possible thing to do. I stop approximately 500 a month, 75% get a written warning. My decision is made before I speak to you or even see your face. I don't care about your driving record, my concern is the violation I observed only. You can't "sweet talk" your way out of a citation but you can damn sure talk your way into one. Here in South Texas, I allow driver's to run the engine for A/C, especially with kids or elderly in car. I ask riders to dismount and allow them to leave helmet on if they prefer. I take photos of the driver with my electronic Ticket writer. I WILL remember the person 9 months or a year later in court. Before court, I review the video from the stop, my personal notes, and picture of operator. Again, ride responsibly and safely and you won't draw attention to yourself. I use RADAR, LIDAR, and Pace for speed checking and all my tools are certified calibrated and my training records current.
    I agree 100% as a fellow motor officer! Don't write quite that many tickets per month though...

That's pretty fair. I spent a lot of time in Los Angeles so i know what you mean about self-entitled and un-skilled jerks that are piloting 5000lb death machines, oblivious to their surroundings.

My personal feelings on chase policies are that if someone runs, they are using deadly force (the vehicle) that can maim, injure, or kill anyone, so they deserve to have the officer use deadly force (the pit maneuver, run him off the road, or the bullets) to stop them. I know it sounds harsh, not to mention it puts the officer in a terrible position to have to make that choice, but:

It would stop the problem. (Do I stay and they find the drugs/warrant/whatever? Or do I run.... and die immediately. Hmmm, I think I'll stay.)
    It would save many more lives than it takes. They wouldn't be putting me at risk by driving around for hours wrecking cars of the innocent.
    It would be a whole lot more interesting to watch on TV, instead of watching the LAPD embarrass themselves by handing out water bottles to the friggin' suspect! during an active chase!

Harsh? Sure. Just wait 'till I'm President!

Great read thank you!!

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112