Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Getting pulled over? Here are some tips.

Awesome writeup Dave!

One thing I would like to point out is that traffic violations(other than reckless/negligent) are not criminal and therefor don't fall under the "Innocent until proven guilty" gig.

Super Moderator
    -1 rep point for being a loser. The only solution is 187.

Good write up..I've been an officer for 18 years and also ride an 04 XB12R. Check the facts of your area, not all of these tips apply in all courts. The info about the initial traffic stop is right on the money. Good luck and please ride safe.

One thing I would like to point out is that traffic violations(other than reckless/negligent) are not criminal and therefor don't fall under the "Innocent until proven guilty" gig.
    Any time you go into a court for a trial, unless there is sufficient evidence that you are guilty, your case will be dismissed. Yes police and HP officers are considered "experts", but there memory is their downfall. They're only human. All you have to do is introduce doubt.

That is an awesome bit of info I never knew before. Thanks Dave.

is there any wonder why I refer to Dave as my 'Buell Guru'
    +1
    :)

I'm going to take one of the bikes out right now and haul some a$$ just to see if Daves info is correct ! Wish me luck .

Jobes tips:

Get this.....http://www.nrhsperformance.com/ekitbuellxb9r.shtml No one will catch you not even police! Dont forget to port your headz!!! Also, dont forget to were your seat belt! :D

Good advice, also good point to note that not all areas play by the same rules.

Also figure on cop gets one and a half votes, you get one. Your story has to have an edge, hence the details Dave pointed out.

I've been sort of stopped/flagged twice just so the officer can look at the bike, go figure. Stopped once for speeding: officer was so glad I stopped, he just gave me a warning (he had been in the paper for catching a Duc that blew by him at 230km only to run into a full drink/drive checkpoint. After that, no bike, no license, $10000 fine). Other time was I stopped hard, cops laughed, hospital but no ticket. Laugh is good, fine/ticket is bad.

So far, polite and respect has worked for me.

Tell us more about that speed survey thing.

Speed limits come from speed surveys. Apparently if the survey is expired, an officer can't give a ticket for speed unless they are pacing. Normally the departments know which roads are expired, but tickets still happen every once in a while. It's good to check because it's an easy way out of a ticket if it is expired.

Also, in CA, it's considered a speed trap to acquire speed using 2 points of reference (like what airplanes do). So if you've ever got a ticket from an airplane in CA, it could have been dismissed immediately in court. I wish I knew that a few years ago when my dad got his airplane ticket.

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast