Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: How to: Rotate your engine : With Pics!

I'm planning on replacing rocker cover gaskets this weekend with the James gasket set. I'm sure I will get it waxed with this thread! ��

I have the service manual and hence my confusion as the rotation description in this thread seems a lot easier but there is no mention of loosening the rear engine mount/isolator center bolt as there is in the service manual.

The service manual is your Buell bible.
    Write ups aren't sacrament but are good Buell life guides.

Ok, Chicknstripn thanks for explaining. Loosen but not remove center bolt, will do.

Did it over the weekend and it was easy as pie!

Thanx to the great step by step pics!

Installing the engine was a mission, but fully because of silly mistakes on my part!
    Like forgetting to fit front breather tube after I had torqued v-bar and isolator in place and once again after realising the coil wasn't in the correct spot.

Won't be making those mistakes again!

James gaskets fitted, plugs changed - although they were only due after another 5000kms.

All ready for next weekend's trip.

Hi all
    just wanted to thank the OP, chinkstripn and everyone else who has contributed. I rotated the engine, changed the exhaust gaskets (used James copper ones) and replaces the rear tiebar. Unlike some others i thought it was quite a harrowing experience with the engine creaking plus the fact that i was so concentrated on making sure nothing got trapped that I did not notice that my scissor jack became misaligned with the bottom of the engine, lucky I was wearing dark coloured trousers but it was easier for me to use two scissor jacks, alternating between them.
    I did loosen the rear isolator bolt.
    I had to loosen the strap securing the gearbox vent tube on the frame as i was afraid it might become disconnected due to stretching.
    otherwise, it went ok, I will do it again without hesitation if I have to, but I would not say it is easy, for me at least with no experience of wrenching.

thanks!

Well, you now have experience ! Feels good, right ?

Quote Originally Posted by njloco View Post
    Well, you now have experience ! Feels good, right ?
    Yes it does feels very, quite proud of being able to do an engine rotation.Before this i had a Triumph Thunderbird sport 10 years ago and managed to change the oil and brake fluid and thought that was pretty advanced at the time ha ha.

In addition, i changed all the other tiebars, the rear wheel bearings, changed the idler pulley to a free spirits with new bearings, fitted muller power clutch, new grips, new brake and clutch levers, new clutch cable, new spark plugs + cables. Feels like I know the bike now (with the exception of the engine internals).

Could not have done it without BuellXB and UKBeg websites.

Thanks!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by tazwolf View Post
    Unlike some others i thought it was quite a harrowing experience with the engine creaking plus the fact that i was so concentrated on making sure nothing got trapped that I did not notice that my scissor jack became misaligned with the bottom of the engine, lucky I was wearing dark coloured trousers but it was easier for me to use two scissor jacks, alternating between them.
    I used a piece of wood to support the engine and to realign the scissors jack on the way down

Quote Originally Posted by TPEHAK View Post
    I used a piece of wood to support the engine and to realign the scissors jack on the way down

Thats a good idea with the piece of wood but i had misalignment several times during the rotation down, at one point the scissor jack was at a 45 degree angle.

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast