Thread: 1125r, 1125cr Oil Change Video How To DIY

Administrator

Dave does it again with another great how to do it yourself oil change for the 1125r and 1125cr Buell motorcycles. As always, please support these videos by "Like" ing or commenting on YouTube.

Awwwww..... why is that I notice the errors after they've been posted. I need to stop editing at 3am

But you left how to turn off the change oil soon lamp.
    Nice vid could add little time to the sizes it rolls by fast

awesome stuff!

Administrator
    Bump. Check it out. Comment. Share it. Bookmark it. "Like" it. Thanks!

Thank you

Hello,
    I know that the post is old and I haven't posted myself in quite awhile. I just figured I would share my 2008 1125R Oil Change experience with the rest of you. I watched the video, and it seemed fairly straight forward. A couple minor issues with the tool selection in the intro, other than that pretty spot on. Now on to my deal.

I first warmed the bike up, rode it 20 miles or so, nice and toasty. check
    Get aluminum foil sheets ready. check
    Organize the proper tools and a 5 quart jug of my favorite 15W-50 Mobil 1 oil, took 3 stores to find. check
    Situate the drip pan under the right side drain plug. check
    Position the foil over the muffler, still warm but most skin left on the fingers. check
    Pull the plug drain out the oil, tip the bike as far as I can, put it back on the kickstand, no more dripping clean and reinstall the plug check
    Now to the Left side.
    Position the drain pan under the plug, wrap the foil over the exhaust, not so hot now, creating a trough for the oil to travel into the drip pan. check

Remove the plug, and watch in utter disbelief that the oil is nearly squirting horizontal out of the drain hole, missing the trough and the drain pan by at least 4-6 inches, and I can't seem to get the drip pan positioned to catch it.
    By the time I get the plug back in the hole nearly 2 quarts or so of very warm oil has been deposited on my garage floor, epoxy coated for just such an occasion, my hand, the exhaust and the kickstand.
    So I roll the bike out of the garage, to the street, find a large plush bath towel, super absorbent, just about the same size as the spreading oil slick, containing the spill. check
    Reset the drip pan, the ratchet/socket/extension out in the street, and drain the rest of the oil from the left side. check
    Now on to the filter. Position the Foil under the filter housing and over the exhaust, and the pan under it all. check
    Find a 6mm socket, but it doesn't fit hex head to close to the housing , find a T30 Torx bit, that works, remove the bolts, and pull the filter cap and filter from its opening. check
    The oil of course doesn't all go into the pan most of it clings to the engine casting bypassing the foil, and wicks along the kickstand to a now growing puddle of oil around the foot of the stand.
    Remove the filter from the cap, clean it, install the new filter, clean the interior of the housing and reinstall the filter assembly, I don't know where my in-lb torque wrench is so I just tighten the bolts snug enough, calibrated hands. check
    Tighten the drain plugs to their respective torque values, "Tight enough", attempt to clean the old oil residue from the bike and kickstand with poor results.
    Attempt to clean the environmental spill from in front of my driveway.
    Add the proper amount of oil, approximately 2.7 quarts. check
    And warm the bike up check for any leaks, nothing dripping. check
    Go for a test ride, seems normal. check
    Check the level, following the proper procedure, minus "swinging the chicken above my head" if you have an 1125 you know what I talking about, it's a bit low, top it off about 3/10ths more quarts. check

Take the bike to work last night and everything seems fine, rode good. check
    Now this morning I go to start her up and she is a bit sluggish to start, it appears that someone has turned the "cold" relatively, on again in Phoenix and now the bike she don't like the warmer weather oil, but that's my cross to bear.

Just thought you would get a kick out of all that.
    Long story short, you can't drain the oil while on the kickstand, and without an extra pair of hands.

You get better at it after a number of changes, but my first one could definitely be considered an environmental disaster

I'll keep that in mind