Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: rear wheel removal

Well I got a new set of tires this morning at Cycle Gear, they had Pirelli Diablo front and rear sets for $169, I couldn't pass that up. So now I need to get the wheels off so I can take them to the shop and have them mounted. Cycle Gear and another local retailer will do the mount and balance for $20 per wheel, the Harley/Buell Stealership wants $70 just for the the rear (yikes).

So my question is what tools do I need and what steps are involved in removing the wheels (the rear especially)? I have an owners manual on the way but I need to get this done before it will arrive. Any help would be much appreciated, thanks!

Service manual is what you need.

Loosen the pinch bolt on the rear axle, Loosen the axle, remove the idler pulley, remove the axle, remove the wheel carefully not to twist or pinch the belt.

amen on that. also dont forget to take off the break cal. it just makes it easyer.

old thread but does anyone know of a cheap alternative for the socket you need to loosen the axle?

There should have been what looks like a double nut in the tool kit if you have one. If not you could get a bolt with the same size head that fits in the axle, and a nut to put on the other end of it and weld the nut on so it cannot come back off. I forget the size socket I used, or I would tell you what size bolt to look for.

Ya mine didn't come with a tool kit. I think it's a 24mm?

7/8"

hmmm so a 7/8 bolt and nut and weld a nut on it so i can use the socket? seems easy enough

It might also be good to weld an oversized washer between the bolt head and the nut as well so the bolt sticks out far enough to get the socket on without going all the way into the axle. Unless you use a bolt about 3 inches long.

In the tool kit it is like 2 nuts welded together with a C clip between the 2 nuts so it doesn't fall in.

I went to my local HD/Buell dealership and they said they can't even order parts for buell... WTF?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast