Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New future Owner from PA here.

New future Owner from PA here.

Hello everyone, just posting to introduce myself. I'm a soon to be owner of a Buell XB12S, been riding for years. Started back when I was 20, mostly street riding. In my younger years when I threw money around like it was candy I did track days with NESBA, had the pleasure of hitting tracks like Beaver Run, Summit Point, VIR, and even Barber. Stopped doing track days when the wallet said no more, and work started getting in the way.

I've run a broad range of bikes over the years, from my first being a Kawaski EX500 to my latest before the Buell being a Yamaha FZ09. So far my latest love as been the naked bikes. Never had a Harley, but have had them in my family. Not sure why I never had a chance on a Buell before, but recently I did and I can't wait to taking ownership of one.

Well I don't want to keep rambling, just wanted to stop by say Hello and introduce myself. I'm enjoying the wealth of information I'm finding on the site. Seems like a great group here.

Have you purchased the motorcycle yet? If you haven't put pen to paper, there are a few things that I'd recommend checking for before you actually purchase it.

Get a BUELLtooth and check any stored Check Engine Light codes, plus the AFV that you find.

The AFV is Adjusted Fuel Value. It's a fudge factor built into the system that allows the ECU to easily make changes to the air/fuel ratio based on a variety of different factors that the computer processes, including the input air temperature, head temperature, and the detected mix by the O2 sensor on the exhaust after it finishes a cycle. This value, though a tiny bit crude, is the single most important tool we have to determine what the mix inside the cylinder is doing.

The AFV is intended to be set at 100.

When the AFV increases, it means that there is a lean condition and the ECU is compensating by adding more fuel to the mix. This is because the cylinders are either getting too much air (leaking air intake seals are a common problem on this bike), or the fueling system is not delivering enough fuel (also tends to be a common occurrence on this bike). If your AFV is under 110-115, I wouldn't worry too much, though there is a minor issue to be addressed. If it is in the 140+ range, it means there is a serious (though very, very solvable) problem and you should make 100% sure you know what you're doing when you put money down.

When the AFV decreases, it means that there is a rich condition and the ECU is compensating by pumping less fuel to the mix. This could be because of a leaky injector or an air blockage.

I bought a bike a while ago and wish I would have done those things, as the bike ran great, or so I thought, and when I started to dig into it and have problems, I discovered a lot going on that I wasn't prepared for.

That being said, if you find a great example of an XB12s, you will be addicted beyond hope. They're fun, nimble, and the power delivery they have is perfect for being around town. Plus, they look and sound so, so badass. Just a little bit of warning, though - you're going to have to answer the question "What is that bike?!" many many times. Enjoy it!

Welcome to the club, man!

You have a headlight out. Haha. Welcome to the Buelladdiction! I'm jealous of you riding Barber. I never got the chance and was just there for the bike fest!

Theres a sticky to read about buying a used Buell, but they are ridiculously simple and get their reliability from that. There isn't much maintenance either, so when they are left to rot (as motorcycles sadly get treated) it doesn't take much to revive them. Less mileage isn't always a good thing... They shake and rattle and make noises, most of which aren't things to worry about. We call it 'character'

Post up pics with details or even the ad. You will get honest opinions here. Heck, we might even know who's bike it is!

Thanks for the input, I will send over some pics. I can definitely see the "What is that?" and "Your headlight is out!"

Welcome aboard, enjoy the ride !

2006 Buell.jpg

If everything works out picking her up before Christmas.

Oh! That's an Ss and a terrible idea. Definitely don't buy that one... Where is it??

JK, You could say I'm a bit biased

IMG_1698_zps568ec95b by Cooter!, on Flickr
    IMG_1697_zps61496023 by Cooter!, on Flickr
    IMG_1905_zpsa447e021 by Cooter!, on Flickr
    Mine were almost twins

Very Cool
    I owned a Yamaha FZ-07 before I was able to buy back the Buell I sold. I think the Yamaha was the closest bike to a Buell, but just wasn't quite there.
    I think you will really enjoy the Buell and there are a bunch of us in the Tri State area

I for one will make a better effort of getting together with the locals once the weather becomes warm again.
    Jack-O-Lantern
    2006 Buell XBRS LightningBolt
    http://www.buellxb.com/forum/album.php?albumid=129

The consensus from most is that the Jardine exhaust that is on the SS you are looking to buy is that it's junk. I never owned one but there are a lot of anecdotal stories of them falling apart and there is proven dyno results that they rob you of power. If look to replace it with a stick exhaust or a Something better. I have a Drummer that I love and most that have one feel the same.

gdisaac07: Thanks for the info on Buelltooth, being a daytime computer geek that was the first thing on my list.

Cooter: Nice looking ride, love the Rizoma mirrors had them on a Streetfighter 848 I owned. Gives the bike a nice look in my opinion. Also loved being able to do a weekend at Barber MotorSports, the drive down and back was hellish though.

Lusiphur: Mostly a solo rider, my younger years of riding with anyone and everyone turned me off from group rides for a long time. Mainly because some of them were accidents just waiting to happen. Once I feel comfortable around fellow riders and feel comfortable with their riding ability and riding ettique around others then I warm up quick, once I do they are riding brothers/sisters for life.

Neilrl79: Thanks for the info on the Jardine, I'll keep that in mind. I was looking at another XB that had the Drummer on it. Loved how it sounded. Haven't heard the Jardine in person.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast