Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Buell XB fuel line disconnect.

Banned
    Now how I fixed it. If you have broken the clip tab do not use glue to place it back, it will not hold strong enough. You need to weld it back.

I used very thin tip soldering iron and helper handle tool to weld the tab back on the clip. I tack weld it in a few spots and then carefully worked all way around the crack. Try to not disturb tab geometry.

Now this tab feels even stronger than the tab on opposite side of the clip. Installed the clip back in the fitting. Now the clip works like new!

Actually glue might work too, because of the clip does not load that spot where the tab is attached to the clip, the tab works like wedge between fitting housing and throttle body nozzle and absolutely does not load that area. But to be on the safe side just weld it back using fine tip soldering iron.

And finally, no one here provided clear answer about correct way to disengage this style fitting from throttle body nozzle, even service manual does not give this answer. Here is correct way to do it:

1. Push the fitting toward the throttle body nozzle all way in to release retaining clip tabs wedges.
    2. Squeeze the fitting tabs by two fingers and pull the fitting out of the nozzle holding the tabs and slightly wiggling and twisting the fitting.
    3. Done!
    Last edited by TPEHAK; 11-18-2017 at 09:54 PM.

Sweet looking hands!!! Will see how long that holds under pressure.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by rchuff View Post
    Sweet looking hands!!! Will see how long that holds under pressure.
    Fist of all the place I have repaired does not hold the fitting at all, it just supports the tab from falling down under gravity force.

Next, the force on the fitting is very small. Here is some math for those who can not imagine that big pressure is not necessary big force.

Maximal fuel pressure P=352 kPa=0.035894 kgF/mm2

Fuel line internal diameter is D=7.93mm

Fuel line internal diameter section area A=3.14*D*D/4=3.14*7.93*7.93/4=49.36mm2

Fitting pressure pushing force F=P*A=0.035894*49.36=1.77 kgF or 3.9 pounds.

It is like nothing for this clip. I already tested the fitting pulling it like 20 pound force by hand which is 5 times bigger than it will actually hold. The fuel line will be blown before the retaining clip will be sheared.

Friction force between fitting o-ring and the fuel rail nozzle is bigger than fuel pressure can generate, the fitting will stay in place even without any retaining ring just because of friction force.
    Last edited by TPEHAK; 11-18-2017 at 11:26 PM.

Here's what I believe is gonna happen. TPEHAK is gonna fix his bike and go to the bar and get tuned up a lil, he will then start scribbling a rendering of a fully automatic high powered rifle of sorts on a bar napkin, he will then CAD design it, print out a 3D life size model of said weapon, go to the Bridgeport and mill it and shoot all of you that break his balls! Lmfao!!!!!!

Actually, in the link mentioned above, it explains exactly how to disconnect it and, it's without breaking it. If it holds, good repair.

Banned
    Even the retaining clip will be completely unable to hold the load the fuel line fitting will not be able to disengage from the throttle body nozzle because of it is resting on the PCV valve. I have to unscrew the throttle body first in order to be able to disconnect the fuel line. I'm not sure if is it safety feature on purpose or it is disadvantage of Buell design so you have to do extra work to disconnect the fuel line.

Cheers Wally!!!

Banned
    Removed the broken clip and installed the good clip from the used fuel line I bought on ebay

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234