Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Mobile 1 vs. amsoil vs. Royal Purple comparison

Yep, I've run:

HarleySyn - ****, shifts were garbage, ran hot
    Mobil 1 - Bit smoother shifts, seems to break down in the heat a little worse than other brands
    Lucas - Loved it, made it run pretty well, smooth shift
    Amsoil - Just like Lucas, butt dyno registers better performance and not as hot. Didn't appear to break down as much as Mobile 1 or Harley****.

I've run RP max cycle( not the 8.99 a qt. RP for cars) for 17000 straight miles in my 07 XB 12ss with not one problem, and I only change it once a year. @ crxtasy I can tell you as an automotive tech for 20yrs, that if an oil comes out the same color as it went in then it didn't do its complete job. One big job of the oil is to remove and suspend contaminates witch is what makes the oil turn dark. If it's still clean looking then it left all the contaminates (carbon,sulfer,dirt and other combustion byproducts) in the engine.

Our local HD dealer advised not to run synthetic until the motor is broken in, I waited until 3,000 miles before running Mobil One V twin synthetic, anyone else every heard this from a mechanic or dealer? They also recommended using HD Formula + transmission and prmimary chaincase lubricant in the tranny, top end was your choice. I have had no issues with the shifts.

Our local HD dealer advised not to run synthetic until the motor is broken in, I waited until 3,000 miles before running Mobil One V twin synthetic, anyone else every heard this from a mechanic or dealer?
    Sure did, it's because a new bike should have more than 1 oil change in the first 3,000 miles. It's recommended to have I think 2 or 3 so why would you spend the money on syn just to throw it out. Of course I'm not sure how much truth there is to it, on today's bikes and cars I would just check oil level a lot when new since a new engine can consume oil during break in.

Synthetic oil is too slik to break an engine in, it has to wear some, to get every thing seated, like rings and bearings, valve guides and such, that's why you break in a motor on dino oil

I've run RP max cycle( not the 8.99 a qt. RP for cars) for 17000 straight miles in my 07 XB 12ss with not one problem, and I only change it once a year. @ crxtasy I can tell you as an automotive tech for 20yrs, that if an oil comes out the same color as it went in then it didn't do its complete job. One big job of the oil is to remove and suspend contaminates witch is what makes the oil turn dark. If it's still clean looking then it left all the contaminates (carbon,sulfer,dirt and other combustion byproducts) in the engine.
    wait you been bending wrenchs for 20 years and only change your oil every 17k once a year??????

I have been a mechanic since 1991 and i won't go over 4k even on synthtic.
    oil is and egines life blood.
    RP can like my bung hole. there reccomendtion for buell transmission primary chain is wrong i emailed and even tried calling them and never got a response...
    Ran m1 vtwin trying ams this go around but i can get lucas cheaper from napa.
    Honestly i have yet to notice a diffrance in ams and m1

@RT - 17000 mi. on a 4yr old bike is less than 5000 mi. a year on an oil change. Do the math.

BAM!

Like i said, only mobil 1 v-twin or amsoil v-twin for my xb12.

crxtasy, it sounds like you have no business working on engines. I used to run mobil 1 in everything, but it seems about 4 years ago they changed their forumla and its complete horse **** now. I wont touch the stuff for the price they charge.

Im running Shell Rotella...cheaper and it works.

Oh and changing oil (especially synthetic)less than 4k is a waste of time and money.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast