Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Rear cylinder base gasket

Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by TPEHAK View Post
    Any luck with cylinder base gasket replacement? What did you use and how did they perform? I'm going to replace the gasket and I have James gasket for cylinder base. But I do not trust James gaskets anymore since my previous set of rocker cover James gaskets started leaking in less than 4000 miles, so now I apply them with RTV silicone and Hylomar. Should I apply RTV silicone on the cylinder base gasket? This cylinder base James gasket looks like has same red material on it as rocker base gasket which will leak soon with no RTV silicone.
    every single time one of your little projects or repairs results in a failure of some sort said failure the result of some-thing or some-body else. i've noticed this trend with you since you joined the site. continually slamming one of the premier gasket and seal companies in the world because of your ineptness and amateurish skill-set is completely unnecessary.

Banned
    The fact is James gaskets can leak. It does not matter if it is premier company or not, their premier status does not help to completely prevent leakage and people apply another sealant in addition to their rocker gaskets to prevent leakage. I actually would never think they are premier gasket company, James gaskets even do not include such basic and simple but necessary thing like valve stem seal protective sleeve in they gaskets kits. Their intake manifold gaskets were full of cracks after less than 4000 miles. I also was not able to achieve good intake manifold seal with James gaskets. So there is nothing outperforming in their gaskets.
    Last edited by TPEHAK; 11-22-2017 at 02:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lunaticfringe View Post
    every single time one of your little projects or repairs results in a failure of some sort said failure the result of some-thing or some-body else. i've noticed this trend with you since you joined the site. continually slamming one of the premier gasket and seal companies in the world because of your ineptness and amateurish skill-set is completely unnecessary.
    sooooooo true!!!!!

Gaskets are only as good as the install and the condition of the engine being installed on.

Banned
    So you would not recommend to apply rtv silicone or Hylomar on cylinder base James gasket? Do you have confidence applying RTV silicone on cylinder base James gaskets will make sealing worst?

Quote Originally Posted by Outlaw View Post
    Gaskets are only as good as the install and the condition of the engine being installed on.
    sooooooo true!!!!!

I would only coat a gasket if the Manuel stated to. RTV is a gasket substitute not a supplement.

Besides lunaticfringe, did anyone answer you from a FOUR year old post ?

Banned
    I expect answer mostly from thrstrmech, because of he was going to change the cylinder base gasket, it looks like another users posted here did not have cylinder base gasket changing experience. And actually 4 years old post is good time to check how this replaced gasket performs after 4 years.
    Last edited by TPEHAK; 11-23-2017 at 05:45 AM.

I've had a lot of "painters"tell me about certain paint lines (good ones) that just suck. "It ran, it didn't match, orange peel, peeled, fish eyed "whatever... the paint didn't suck. Like most reputable gasket companies, well known paint manufacturers make a quality product that works when used properly! So maybe it's the painter's fault this time ?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast