Thread: ECMSPY for 2009 XB12Ss - is there a different cable??

I'm a newbie with respect to bike tuning. I've read many post regarding ECMSPY and the cable need to connect to a PC. However, the sites all state that the cable only works for Buells up through 2007.

Why won't the cable work on my 2009 XB12Ss?? How do you tune the 2009s other than going to the stealership? I've read about "autotune" and tunerpro but not sure how tunerpro is different or similar to ECMSPY. I'd like to add a Drummer SS pipe and open the bike up a bit...

Thanks in advance! Apologies if this has been answered before but I did read many posts looking for the answer. Great site, by the way...

I too am in the same situation with my 2008 xb12stt.

I think the cable is same for all but there is two versions of ECMspys: older ECMspy will work with Buells up to 2007 and the newer ECMspy for Mono will work with almost all Buells including also 1125: www.ecmspy.com/supported.shtml.

If you look the description of the cable which Twinmotorcycle is selling there is stated the cable will fit all Buells: http://twinmotorcycles.nl/webshop/ar...gramming_cable.

I fought this same battle not long ago.

The cable I have came second hand from a guy who used it on his '04 and it worked fine on my '08 and '09. I didn't have any problems except for finding a driver (seems like there are 2 companies w/ drivers and I had the rare one - if bought new I think most come with a driver disk).

The new ECMSpy for 08+ bikes costs a bit (was free before), and can only be used on one computer (and maybe only one one bike, can't remember???). Wasn't going to work for me since we have a couple bikes and laptops don't 'live' very long around here.

I ended up going with TunerPro (free) and will say that I was completely overwhelmed with the idea at first since I suck at computers. A week of reading forums and playing with it and I was pretty comfortable with using it as my tuning system. Look at The Tuniversity on the right - octo is a sponsor and his class is probably cheaper than any HD/ECMspy option for 08+ bikes and provides the knowledge to maintain and change things over time. Plus, given my experience with him - a solid guy who went above and beyond.

Thanks fellas... this helps. The guys at TunerPro said the same, that the cable works for all. They also recommended using TunerPro RT.

Super Moderator
    I would suggest you pick up your cable from Mike (xopti) at www.xoptiinside.com. He provides unparalleled support for his products.

Also, if you'd like help getting tuned, check out my website: The Tuniversity. I have a variety of packages available, depending on your level of expertise. I am confident that I can get you up and running with a custom tuned bike on the quick!

I bought the cable from xopti and loaded the driver. Windows 7 successfully loaded the device and I see it in the Device Driver as COM11. However, I've tried to connect to the bike with ECMRead, ECMSpy, TunerPro...etc and the error is always "Failed to open serial port".

I switched it to another open port (COM2) and same error. Then, I follow another user's suggestion and set it to a "used" port (COM1). I was then able to read the ECM with ECMRead. ECMSpy still gave error (though a different one)... "Failed to get ECM type from ECM:". Ugh.

I shouldn't have to use a comm port that's already being used but it worked for ECMREAD. So, I've made progress but can't connect to ECMSpy or TunerPro. My ECM type is BUEYD, 2009 XB12Ss.

Anyone have a suggestion? I'm just trying to connect, then I may check out Tuniversity... Thanks, Dave

I meant to say I see it in the Device Manager as COM11...

Hey guys,

I know this is an older post, but I have a related question. I have a 2009 xb12r that I am running with a Jardine rt-1 and a K&N air filter. I need to remap the bike. Do I need to purchase the EBR "race" ecm to be able to reprogram, or can I just buy a cable and reprogram my stock ecm?

Thanks in advance!

Cable or bluetooth and then tune it. Or you can buy an ebr ecm for it