Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Firebolt to Lightning conversion

I can't be the 1st person to have this idea. Has anyone ever done this? I know the frames are the same so in theory the rear subframe/seat assembly "should" bolt right up. I know the top triple tree is different as far bars are concerned but is it different as far as where the gauge assembly bolts up? A Lightning is what I REALLY want but there is a Firebolt at my local HD dealer that's in mint condition that I can finance with ease. Any and all help is appreciated!

It can be done.........I know bwcause Ive done it. Im not the 1st by a long shot either. Things to keep in mind are that a Firebolt has all the relays, ecm, and fuses up front , but a Lightning has them all under the seat. This is where your problems will come from.....trying to get all the electronics under that lil wind screen. Its possable but tight. You will also need a longer front brake line and clutch cable.

just go hybrid...

best of both worlds! tail is a simple swap out.

this is my oompah in various outfits.

The tail section is going to be a little hard to get a lot of guys are trying to trade for but otherwise you could probably trade straight across the parts your looking for its definitely do able for not much money I have done this myself good luck

Word to the mutants, the best of both worlds!

I can afford the conversion, that won't be an issue. I just wanted to make sure the conversion is feasible/possible. The "S" isn't exactly plentiful around here & the "R" I found is an 09. Has the black motor & frame plastic the 4 piston front brakes. Still debating for the moment. Is the wiring harness interchangeable from the R to the S? That would make it easier to just relocate the electronics to the tail like the S instead of framing them under that small front piece

If you want to make a straight up S. Then buy an S. The wiring harness is different the firebolt has all electronics behind the front fairings, the S has it under the seat. A few people on here did a complete swap and just smashed everything behind the S fairings. An S wire harness is almost $300 bones and a lot of work, not to mention all the other things you would have to change. Just my 2 cents.

My 2cents is just do a tail swap.

I'd wait for an S... That's what you want, and as everyone is pointing out, doing a "conversion" is a lot of work.

I'd wait for an S and use the "conversion" money to farkle it the way I want...

I had an STT, and wanted a "black" Buell, plus things like LED turn signals, bar end mirrors, etc. I started thinking about powder coating costs, disassembly costs/time, having the engine painted, etc. Then i walked into my local my local dealer to buy a tire, and while they where mounting it, I spotted a lone Buell in the used bike section (its a Suzuki dealership...). It was an '09, black, mean looking, and had billet LED's, the special seat, and was just MEAN looking. I came back the next day and traded the STT in on that SCG... The difference I paid was less than what I would have spent trying to make my STT into what I wanted, and I got a newer bike with substantially less miles. Just my .02 :)

Get a bolt do the swap! They are the sexiest thing Buell Should have ever made!!!! IMHO

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast