Thread: help with removing my starter

I have a xb12s 2008. I have a 2005 service manual and it doesnt even look close to being acurate for my bike. Do I have to rotate my engine down just to get at the starter?? I hope not. HD wants almost 800 bucks do install a new one and they dont have any starters instock for my bike in any hd in the entire country. I mean come on now. Any one have a diy video i can follow or a 2008 xb12s service manual. Much help needed here cause I got my bike ripped apart to the bushing already. I think i can rebuild the starter if I could just get the damn thing out of the bike. Any help is much appreciated

I don't think you will have to rotate the engine,from what I can see all buell starters need to be removed by taking the primary cover off to gain access to the bolts holding the starter to the engine and take off the sprocket cover to take the terminal wires off,then it should slide out,make sure to disconnect the battery terminals,I know I use the 2005 manual for my xb9r.

yea i got the oil lines off, the spring, the bushing, the primary cover and all the lines where the sprocket cover is is the only thing i havent done because im afraid of killing my bike. Ive stripped a bike down before so anyone that has any advice would be helpful. thanks gary appreciate it. I work with my hands in construction and have some common sense. But i am very cautious with what i do with this bike because ive had so many problems with it.

you should not have to take any oil lines off to remove the starter. like gary said, take the primary cover off and there are 2 bolts right above the clutch(the 2 kind of at a diagonal in pic.) take sprocket cover(plastic piece) off right side, un-hook wires & the starter should come out the right side. good luck

unplug the speed sensor,remove both wires to the starter,remove the left starter bolt loosen the right starter bolt while pushing the starter back this will give you the clearance you need.then remove the starter.08 up remove the 2 oil lines from the fittings and remove the clamp holding them in place by starter.

Hi

I have just purchased an 09 XB12Ss and it needs a new starter motor. I am not having so much trouble with parts being in stock and wondered where you ended up buying from (assuming you didn't fix it once removed)?

I can get it from HD for £440 (OEM part) of £370 for a spike 1.4kw. But assuming I buy from America it is as little as £130 posted - assuming it doesn't get stopped by customs - even then its the delay rather than price.

I need the part ASAP and may just need to pay the premium...

Advice/comments appreciated.

Ads

Does anyone know of any good suppliers... ideally ticking the good, reliable and cheap boxes. That might be ambitious but I am optimistic. I am in the UK.