Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Firebolt 12000K Xenons installed

yeah the most I saw them for was $20 (E-bay) and $5 for the 30A relay/harness so it was a pretty cheap upgrade considering the price of a new set of ballasts.
    The function of the delay is to keep power from the whole light circuit (if you don't have any power to the low you won't have any to the high) essentially doing the same thing as pulling your fuse from the block (for 1-90 sec.) until you get the bike started and then re-inserting the fuse.

so your saying I should use a second relay then?

use the method drawn out in the 2nd illustration, I'm also running both low and high beam (it being a 'bolt both are illuminated with high beam on) and this is the method I used

I have all of the necessary parts ordered, i am going to tackle this next week during some much needed time off. I will be sure to take pictures and document everything. Thank you LV for the wiring diagram and suggestions on materials. I am sure it will come to good use.

How difficult was this timed relay to install? I'm interested in doing this, I've got a HID I haven't installed yet, but I'm not well-versed with electronics.

Hey LVsleeper!

I'm picking up my '03 9R tomorrow and HIDs will definitely be the first mod other than some sliders. Just some questions ...

1) Did you have to modify the stock projectors to achieve the great cutoff that you got? Or simply plug and play (I'm not foreign to HIDs whether in be plug-and-play kits or complete OEM retrofits).

2) Could a bi-xenon kit be thrown in to both headlights? Or is the driver's right headlight the low beam and the driver's left headlight the high beam no matter which kit you throw in?

3) Not sure if it changed from the '03 like mine will be, but bulb sizes?

Nice work!! Love the install, and love the great look and safety it provides whether it be day or night.

Thanks for the help,
    ~J

So I just installed a kit from DDMtuning.com, It was essentially plug and play. I did however follow lvsleepers wiring diagram for the install as I am using 2 55 watt ballasts.

I purchased the same delay and relay piece as lvsleeper as well. Let me say, after looking at his wiring diagram this install was truly a snap.

One thing i made sure to do is that any of the wiring modifications I had to do i made absolutly no change to the stock wiring of the bike so if I need to take the kit off I can with no issue. After wiring in the relay the biggest problem i found was a place to put in all the junk. The ballasts do not run hot at all so you can pretty much mount them anywhere. I also made sure to add some velcrow to the back of the ballasts, timer, and delay but also secured all of the wiring with some zip ties and electrical tape.

I took tons of pictures i just need to get them off of my camera, I will either post my install on this forum or throw them up on my website and give everyone the link.

I owe a huge thank you to lvsleeper as i would not of even thought to put the delay in saving the ballasts. What a difference the 6000k 55w HIDS make.

please feel free to ask any questions you may have, especially once i have my tutorial up.

Awesome!. I'd like to see the difference between 35w and 55w systems. Has anyone upgraded?

I did exactly the same mod, and it is awesome.
    I just have a small issue that with the high beam (even if I lowered it to match the height of the low beam) I get cars flashing their high beams to me alot, which obviously is annoying. Is the lens different between high and low beam?

I now drive again only on low beam :(

I was out after dark last night, really wish I had my HID installed.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast