Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ss to Firebolt Tail swap has begun!

I have seen a few of these tail swaps around the Buell sites, and really love the look. I thought it would look really nice on my Ss. I havent found any posts yet where someone has done this, so I thought I would post my progress. I know someone has done a S tail on a Ss, but not a R tail on a Ss.
    I did know that there would need to be some modification to the subframe before I started this. I was just hoping that the R's bodywork would fit flush to the Ss frame.

That was my main concern.

Today my new tail section arrived.

I apologize in advance, these are cell phone pics. I will get some good real camera pics.

I had my stock tail section already disassembled and ready for mock up today. The bottom mounts are perfect, its the top which are too narrow. Approx 1/4" on each side. This made me very happy because that means the bodywork will fit up very nicely because the bottom mounts are exactly the same.
    You can see in this pic how far off it is. Its about a 1/2" divided by two makes approx 1/4" on each side. I will get a exact measurement tomorrow.

My plan is to chop off the ends right after the welds, and weld some new bungs(I think thats the right word?) on there. I have some machining experience, so that shouldnt be a problem. I am not sure if it is double walled or solid inside the subframe where the weld is. I will have to wait to see, as I have not cut it yet.

But basically instead of the piece of the left. I am going to make the one on the right.
    The stock end has a recessed hole which the head of the allen bolt can go in. I am going to eliminate that and make a notch. So there will be just as much material. I am just going to do away with the recess.
    (sorry for the crappy Paint pic!)

I did notch the original piece 1/4" on each side just so I can get a idea of how it would fit. Considering I am going to cut them off anyway, I just just a hack saw real quick.
    It was dark, and I didnt have all my lights on, but I took a quick pic. More to come soon I promise!

So what do you guys think? More to come tomorrow. Hopefully I can get the parts machined out at work.

That is gonna be sick!!! and Cell phone pics? are you kidding me, That's a heck of a cellphone camera.

looks pretty good. Have you run into any wire length problems for the fuse box and such?

Thanks,
    Yeah I guess they look better once I downloaded them then on the phone's screen. It is a 3mp camera on it. It did a decent job considering the lighting.

trill,

Doesnt seem to be a problem. There is plenty of length. The tail is probably about the same length as the Ss tail. From what I have seen in posts from other people who did a S to R swap they put the fuse box behind the battery, and the ECM in the trunk.
    I didnt get to play with it too much tonight. I will have more time tomorrow. I want to keep the trunk as clear as possible, so I can make it somewhat useful.

I have an XB9R and was going to go with the lightning front but once I mocked it up there was to much hanging in the rear from the tail and not enough in the front so I modded the stock fairing instead.

The Ss gives more length in the rear which allows for the look to be complete, good job, looks good.

Brandon

Not my cup of tea.

IMO, the rear of the S model looks better.
    That's why i dislike the new Buell designer and the CR so much. They didn't bother to design a new rear.
    I will give you an answer to what looks best though! The swingarm of SS long at the S model, that looks phuKKing great. When the seat and rear section is sticking out over the wheel - hate that! When the wheel and swingarm is visually striking looking - love that!
    When KTM Venom is being released, Buell will get a punch at the balls. They lost the design war and that's what kept them at the road for awhile.

I used to feel the same way. Thats why I bought the Ss. That and I wanted the longer wheel base.
    The more I looked at firebolts, the more I liked the rear. I like the look of a single seat. I dont ride with a passenger ever. The long "banana" seat of the Ss just didnt suit me.
    My eventual goal is to fab a new body for the R subframe out of fiberglass. Maybe next winter. Something with a higher cowl, more supportive seat, and more aggressive rear end.
    But thats down the road, one project at a time!

Thanks for the comments,

can we get a better profile pic? i would like to see how the frfont and back work together.

I would love to put an R tail on my XB9sx. Has anyone tried that?

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast