Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Ss to Firebolt Tail swap has begun!

Erkblack, sure I will get one up once I get the body back on. Right now everything is being mocked up. That was just placed together loose.

Roccodart440, I know a few people have done it. If you want I can email you a link to a good writeup from another forum. not sure if its against the rules to post links to other forums here. You would be able to mount it up without modification. Though you would need to find a hope for the fuse block, ecu, and shock reservoir.

Ok so for my progress....
    Had a busy weekend, but made some progress. I have the bungs machined and ready for welding.
    Not many pics to offer today. Here are a few from Sat before my phone crapped out on me. These are a few of the machining of the new brackets.

Cut subframe

I had to machine down the 1" rod I had down to 3/4", then I took .100" off each side and .5" in. I then rounded the edges and it gave me a nice snug fit.

Sorry thats it for now. I will get some new ones of the finished product tomorrow.

Ok sorry for the delays, life happens so the bike has to wait sometimes!
    Solved my reservoir problem. I ended up mounting it outside of the of the undertail right next to the shock. That way I dont have to disconnect the line.
    I also finished up the new upper mounts and am all ready for welding. I am going by the welding shop tomorrow morning to get it done. So hopefully tomorrow I will have everything ready for a test ride.

Here are a few really bad pics. Sorry the lighting in my shop stinks. I really need to get some better lighting! I will pull it out of the garage later once it warms up.

new mounts fitted to the frame

realized that I put the one backwards! Hope I dont do that when it gets welded!

Got some more pics to show. Once again it was getting dark, but they are as good as I could get.

Other good news is, I plugged everything in, and I have power she started just fine. Just need to extend the wires for the tail light and turn signal and I am set.

The pics with the body, nothing is bolted on. Its just placed on to see what it would look like.
    Enjoy! Hopefully tomorrow is D day! Welding will be done, and everything I should be riding!

Like my welding job, gotta love zip ties!

Wow, that's a different look for an XB12S....very cool. Nice work. :) Looking forward to finished pics and "after the ride" comments.

Thanks I will be sure to update later today. I am off to get my welding done shortly!

Looks great and excellent write up.

The hard part of the swap is complete.
    Got everything professionally welded up, and it fits great.
    There are a few issues I am dealing with regarding how the top of the bodywork lines up with the frame. It seems to be in more on the top which creates a gap. If you pull it out flush with the bottom it looks good. So I am going to have to mod the top front body mounting points to pull it out a 1/4" or so on each side. No big deal.
    The other issue is the huge gap between the seat and the airbox. I am going to remedy this by modifying the seat pan and having the seat re upholstered.
    I also plan to eliminate the trunk, and and mold the the cowl(or I might just buy a race body with it in one piece already).
    At the same time I want to modify the locking mechanism to work on the rider seat, so it can be popped off with the key.

One more thing I want to change is that where I mounted the fuse box, it is inaccessible unless you take the body work off. So I have a couple ideas on relocating it under the seat.

Lots of work to do, but it will look super clean in the end!
    I am hoping to do some neat things with this by the spring time.

Here are some pics how she stands right now. Needs paint and a little TLC, but that will wait the rest of my mods are done.

Enjoy!

Wow, Good looking bike.... Awesome work. What was the total time for the whole job?

Hmm its hard to say. I didnt work on it for any extended period of time.
    Maybe 6 hours total work time. The new mounts were easy, and probably took the most time.
    It probably took longer just figuring out how to mount everything then the actual work.

did it not match up becuase yours is an Ss? im thinking about doing this with my S will i run into the same problem?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast