I have seen a few of these tail swaps around the Buell sites, and really love the look. I thought it would look really nice on my Ss. I havent found any posts yet where someone has done this, so I thought I would post my progress. I know someone has done a S tail on a Ss, but not a R tail on a Ss.
I did know that there would need to be some modification to the subframe before I started this. I was just hoping that the R's bodywork would fit flush to the Ss frame.

That was my main concern.

Today my new tail section arrived.

I apologize in advance, these are cell phone pics. I will get some good real camera pics.

I had my stock tail section already disassembled and ready for mock up today. The bottom mounts are perfect, its the top which are too narrow. Approx 1/4" on each side. This made me very happy because that means the bodywork will fit up very nicely because the bottom mounts are exactly the same.
You can see in this pic how far off it is. Its about a 1/2" divided by two makes approx 1/4" on each side. I will get a exact measurement tomorrow.

My plan is to chop off the ends right after the welds, and weld some new bungs(I think thats the right word?) on there. I have some machining experience, so that shouldnt be a problem. I am not sure if it is double walled or solid inside the subframe where the weld is. I will have to wait to see, as I have not cut it yet.

But basically instead of the piece of the left. I am going to make the one on the right.
The stock end has a recessed hole which the head of the allen bolt can go in. I am going to eliminate that and make a notch. So there will be just as much material. I am just going to do away with the recess.
(sorry for the crappy Paint pic!)

I did notch the original piece 1/4" on each side just so I can get a idea of how it would fit. Considering I am going to cut them off anyway, I just just a hack saw real quick.
It was dark, and I didnt have all my lights on, but I took a quick pic. More to come soon I promise!

So what do you guys think? More to come tomorrow. Hopefully I can get the parts machined out at work.