Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rough idle every time I start it

I tried to look for this but couldn't find anything on it.

I have a 07 XB12Scg with race ecm. Every time i start it is idles rough bouncing between 1100 and 500 rpm and sometimes stalls. Heres the weird part. If I ride it 100 feet to the stop sign and stop it idles fine and doesn't mess up again, but I can ride for a hour and as soon as I turn it off and back on it comes back rough again. Hot or cold as soon as I start it, it's rough but drive 100 feet and its good. Any thoughts?

Do you have access to an ecm cable and the ecmspy program? If not, I would recommend getting one.

a few things could be the cause

1) Clean the throttle body. Alot of carbon builds up over time and oil residue because of the oil vapors venting into the intake. Use some carb cleaner and swabs to clean it out well. A gun cleaning kit actually works very well for this. You really do not wanna just spray it out, it would and load up the intake with a ton of carb cleaner. * A TPS reset is recommended after doing this (reason for getting the cable and program)

2) From time to time it is needed to reset the TPS (Throttle Positioning Sensor) and I would also reset the AFV to 100% (Adaptive Fuel Value). You will need the ECM cable and program to do this. The TPS can also go bad...Mine did. I knew this by opening the throttle wide open and the sensor was only reading 85% open. Ok, so after you reset it go for a ride and allow the ecm to learn/adjust to the riding environment. You do this by riding through all gears staying within 2000-4000 rpms for 10-20 mins or so. Basically normal riding at low rpms. there is a function in the ecm that will compensate for your fuel mixture and adapt to the environment.

3) Spark Plugs, when have they been replaced? Buells tend to have a rich idle and letting them idle too long can really foul a plug out. A rough idle can be a plug fouling and not getting a good spark. A lot of times a plug starting to go will clear up at higher rpms and then start running like crap once it goes back down to idle. Could just be firing on a weak plug.

4) Your intake could be leaking somewhere. mostly this happens at the intake seals on the manifold. the manual suggests using propane to check. I used carb cleaner when mine were bad. You do this by basically spraying the carb cleaner around the seal area. Do both sides around the entire seal. You will notice that at an idle, as you spray, it will suck in the carb cleaner and want to die or the rpms will rise. depending on the nature of the leak, it could do either. If the idle does NOT change, then you most likely do not have a leak there. Check all the flange bolts (they tend to rattle loose from time to time). Also check the rubber boot in side of the air box that is clamped onto the throttle body. A crack or hole could cause an intake leak by sucking out side air through it.

Take your time and start with the easy things first. Hopefully some of those suggestions will give you a place to start...

Welcome to the Forum,Possible Throttle Body needs to be [Gently] Cleaned with some Carb Cleaner with Engine OFF!.
    The TPS sensor could have some play in it due to miles, How many miles have you gotten on your Guage Cluster? And is the Guage Cluster correct? and the Orignal?
    Check your Idle Screw down by the Left Front Air Scoop. Don't mess with the [Idle Screw] TILL you Read up on the Manuals here for use here on the Forum.You may download what you need from the Manuals if you like. NOW the Manuals here on the Forum a LOT of areas will still pertain to your bike. YOUR Idle usually is around 1050/RPMs.
    you can turn the IDLE Screw 1/4 Clockwise Turn [but] be Cautioned about doing that Before you Learn the proper way to work on your Machine.
    Get yourself a check list and start with Removing the Airbox Cover A 27/Torx. Once you can look down into the Throttle Body, careful make sure not to drop something down into the areas you are working on.Twist the Throttle(key OFF!)and watch the Action of your Throttle Butterfly. Does it OPEN all the Way at FULL Throttle? Never [Twist the Throttle] when Starting up your bike.
    If you have done that then you will need to Reset TPS. There are some Videos here on the Forum to Watch. Find Daves DO IT YOURSELF videos all in one thread.(Daves DIY videos all in one thread)you will need to watch those videos so as you can figure out if you want to Do the Work yourself or Take it to your Mechanic.
    Anytime you change the ECM or Throttle Position Sensor you HAVE to Reset TPS.
    SHOULD you decuide to do the Work yourself then you will need.!
    A ECMSPY cable for your Bike.
    Go to Xoptiinside.com for the Cable and you will most likely find the [Drivers] there Also, to use the Software for ECMSPY program. Once you have the Drivers downloaded to your computer and get the [Cable] then you can start Learning the way to work on your Bike.Hopefully you have a Laptop for easiness of working.A Desk top is fine as well. The Computer for easiness of Working will need windows XP or Windows/7 , there are other programs also but these seem to be the most popular at the moment . XP is a great program for Diagnostics with the ECMSPY program.
    Always use Caution when using the Spy Software it is a [powerfull program] and can do some serious damage if not properly learned.
    Don't let it bother you, there is plenty of help here on the forum. If you need Lessions then post up the [Tuniversity] here on the Forum and for a small fee you will be tuning and fixing your bike in no time. IF you ARE not the Type to do this then may I please Suggest you take it to a good Buell/ Harley Motorcycle Mechanic since I don't know your skills level. A [buell Tech] usually is best but there are some that MAYBE able to work on it for you.
    If you watch those [videos] and are [Patient] then you can/AND will save a lot of money in your future, for Diagnousing and Servicing your Bike.
    Other Tips ARE Never Jump Start your Bike with a large Diesel with Twin Batteries. If you must jump the Bike then do so by using a Single Battery without the Vehicle running(you are jumping FROM)then after started GET the cables off the Bikes little 200/CCAmps Battery!
    TIP/- When Draining your Oils and Transmission Fluids Just Gently SNUG the Drain Plugs so you don't STRIP out the Threads & Replace the O'ring. Maintenance is Key to a good running Bike.AmsOil 20/50 works good in the Oil and Same Fluid[Oil] can be used in the Transmission.Good Luck and post up if you need.There are other ways to Diagnous your bike with the Data Port Plug but this post is long and ECMSPY is a great place to start!Good Luck.*Jimi;):D

Thanks for the help guys I will start by checking out the throttle body.

A Mechenic buddy of mine told me to hold it at about 2k for 5 seconds or so and it will smooth right out.. Works every time. (oh yea, mines been doing this for years also). Now w/ that being said plugs wouldnt be a bad idea either.

Hmmm just tried the holding it 2k for 5 secs. . . . didnt work, just idled back down and started sputtering again

common issue. check engine temp sensor first. adjust idle fuel from ego corr, then adjust idle correction as applicable.

The OP only has 15 post and could be new to Buells. Im gonna say:
    w/ that being said plugs wouldnt be a bad idea either.
    Simple things first, plugs aren't that expensive.

I am new to Buells.

I cleaned the throttle body yesterday with a tooth brush and some O2 safe carb cleaner, it wasn't all the dirty but, It did run a little better, it doesnt stall out anymore but still idles between 1100 and 500 rpm. Im taking it into the dealership tomorrow for a TPS rest, AFV reset and changing the plugs. Hopefully that will do it.

Thanks for the help guys.

Took it to the dealership and now I regret it. . . Its been 3 days they have only changed spark plugs, TPS rest, and AFV reset. Then the tech calls me back and saids he doesn't know what to do next. . . . . . and from you guys here I told him maybe its the intake seal and he was like "hmmm thats a good possibility" . . . . I feel bad for my bike having to be worked on by this guy.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast