Thread: Check engine light XB9S

Ok, 2003 XB9 at 75 mph or greater about 12-20 miles of straight riding, my engine light comes on. Performance of the bike does not change at all. I come in under to say 65 mph and the light goes out. Question is, anyone else ever have this happen to them? I did the code check after sitting and after it happened again. I get no trouble codes for this. Do I have some glitchy Gremlin with a Buell hat lurking in my bike, or is this the sign of something bad about to happen? BTW the bike has around 18,000 miles on it and the upper engine was re-done this spring, about 10,000 miles ago. Any help I would appreciate it. Thanks.

Ok maybe I am the only one with this gremlin. I have been trying to read older posts to see if this issue surfaced anywhere else.

Several areas of interest there, First is your fan working properly? Let it Idle on the Side Stand till it comes on watching the Dash Cluster to see if the Cel flickers on right before the fan comes on. It would be better if you had it on a Pitt Stand so it sits upright Level.
    Make sure the Relays are in good shape. If the Relay to the fan is Orignal Remove the Fans Relay and the and the Fuse
    If not the side stand is fine, just sit across it and level the Bike so your OIL Pump gets completely lubed.These bikes have Low Oil Pressure so Side Stand Idling is a no no. TOO long on the Side Stand [SAY more than 6/minutes]is not a good Idea.
    If that does nothing [try this] IS your Air Filter a Mesh Type or Paper, and is it clean? What mods have you done especially Reciently? Is the Velocity Stack clamped down Properly or been changed at all?
    Check your timing for the work you described and make sure it is correct for any upgrades you may have done.
    Lastly for now have you checked your TPS settings?
    The Throttle Position Sensor may need to be checked .
    It sounds like AND- I am Guessing due to I am not there to run my software or a ECMSPY diagnostics. Just giving you some Ideas to start from in case you are using the Data Port Plug and counting the blinks.
    Check your Volts at the battery as well as the Connections.
    Make sure you are using good oils for the bike. Running the Bikes Engine above 70/75 for an extended peroid of time is not a good Idea. Your call on that.
    I've built many an 2003 and 2004 Xb Engine due to high end Excessive Speeds when the Engine was a Stock Engine. If you have Installed a Big Bore Kit or something of that nature then check your work run an OIL pressure Test and hope It is an Easy Fix. Good Luck.*Jimi

Jimi, that was all good advice. After the rebuild this spring I put Keda exhaust on. Dyno tuned and the bike ran like a top, still does. I change the fluids every 6 thousand and keep an eye on the level for my oil every other time I fill up. I cleaned the k and n air filter a month ago. This engine light just started about 2 weeks ago. I checked today and the bike is running around 3900 Rpms at 75 mph. The guy who tuned my bike at the shop said he was getting no stored codes either. It doesn't flash when it comes on. Just a solid light. There have been no mods in the last 10,000 miles, I do run ngk plugs. I am just confounded by the sudden light. The bike runs great, the fan seems to kick in fine. It runs occasionally when I ride and runs when I shut her down. It has the right side scoop. I appreciate the information, I am surprised that 75 mph would be too much for this bike considering it maxed out at 138 on the dyno and there is a lot of drive left beyond that in the rpm range. But if you have rebuilt motors from these bikes because they are running those speeds, guess next year I am getting a bike that can handle it. I have a lot of interstate riding I have to do, so a bike that can handle 75 and up is a neccesity. Thanks for the info.

Related to this a little. Running tests on my bike I removed the the TPS plug while the bike was running. I plugged it back in but the CEL hasnt gone out.

I even removed the battery and the cel is still on.

Is there a way to clear a code w/o ecm spy?

Hello From Spain:

I have the same problem. Just the same.

In my case the problem probably comes from having manipulated butterfly escape. O to be mounted exhaust, not putting well.

The servo motor needs to learn well the cable route. Finger touches the cable that fits in the exhaust and see if there is tension. Maybe your problem is the same as mine.

hi amigos , i have check light on also , and everything start with the check engine light on fallowed by an ignition blow fuse change the fuse and the bike was running but very bad ,rough and the check engine light still on , i removed the air filter and cleaned and fire the bike again and the light still on , it feels like spark plugs like it is running with one piston i do not know at his point !!! thx a lot for all your help !!

Hey Alex, this thread is about 5 years old.

I would visit Buelltooth.com, or PM AZMidget on this board. Both of those sources will give you step by step instructions on how to get ECMDroid for free, and use a Bluetooth dongle (which they sell for cheap) to be able to diagnose your bike and read codes.