Thread: Plastidip for airbox cover protector

I got a new jacket recently and didnt think about the zipper being on the bottom of the sleeve as I rested my arm on the air box cover. Multiple scratches. It will buff out but I havent had to buff the cover yet and was hoping I never would. I dont care for the swirls that it leaves behind. Any way, I just painted my helmet this morning with plasti-dip and thought this stuff would probably work as a airbox cover protector. Anyone have any experience with plastidip longevity and durablity. Whadyathink?

I've been playing with it a little here lately. Pretty cool stuff.

I did my heel guards and my center piece on my chin fairing, both susceptible to rubbing and catching debris. Both have surprisingly held up decently. I have no chips in my fairing after about 100 miles. I have some marks on my heel guards from my boots rubbing, but nothing that has ripped the plastidip away from the guard.

Having said that, my guess on something like just doing an airbox/zipper protector may be more trouble than it's worth. Reason is, if you zipper catches that and rips it, there is some time involved in re-doing it every time. For something like that, I might just spend the $20 and get a real protector. BUT it would be fun to try out, play with some different designs, and see how it holds up. I just don't forsee that being a long term solution.

fyi, i just purchased some black heel guards because I know the plastidip won't last forever and I like the look of them being black. So if anything, try some different colors and see how it looks.

and post some pics! up]

I'm going to get some clear 3M vinyl tape and lay it over where the jacket rubs. I don't like to looks of the protectors!

That is what I did xtreme. Cant tell its there.