Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Oil leak

Ok. But will you be able to torque the bolts correctly on reassembly?

How did you replace the inner gasket without removing the cover? If you replaced the perimeter gasket with the updated part and left the "old", inner gasket in place, you will soon have oil flowing down the inside of your jug.

I prefer not to grind or cut my tools unless it is absolutely necessary, which in this case, only required more effort and time to lower the engine.

let me rephrase, "This is no way to replace the rear rocker cover gaskets properly without rotating the engine, unless you start cutting welds."

I didn't replace the inner one. It looked good still. If it develops a leak later on then I'll change it. It's not going to start leaking because the outside one is thicker, more likely because the old style one can't take the extra heat being on the rear cylinder.. I have the comfort kit now so that should help.

I didn't use a torque wrench because well, I don't own one.. so I don't know if it was possible to use one or not. I tightened them down by feel. Got them about as tight as they were when I removed them. It's been a few thousand miles and they have not come loose and I have not developed any other leaks.

It may not be the correct way but it worked for me. If you guys want to drop the engine thats fine but it's possible to do the same job without. Which = more riding time for me.

I didn't do a write up at the time because I knew most people wouldn't like my methods. To each their own.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12