Thread: Ricks Motorsports stator Rewind

Another stator failure. I got my stator rewound by ricks motorsports. It looked like the coating had dried in a way where it left one side really thin to the point to where you almost could not tell that the coating was even there. I also replaced my rotor with the one with oil hole in it, I have also replaced my battery. I went on a short ride today, about 20 miles. I did not get a sys charging error this time but the Volts went all the way down to 12. I am wondering if the voltage regulator could be bad too? I read out the stator, it is a little on the low side, about 40-42 watts at 3000 rpm. When I first started the bike I was at 14.3 on the dash, and after about 6-7 miles the voltage hung out at around 13.3 or so. By the time I got home it was at 12. I let it sit and run and it got back up to 12.2, before I shut it off, Is this typical? I bought the bike new in 09 but never really paid attention to it until it took a crap on me. I guess I am just wondering if a VR is what I need or did Ricks not coat the wires properly, and the system is just going to be on the low side? Another possibility is that this may just be typical, and all I need to do is just add more miles?

I noticed the same thing when I got mine back from Ricks so it must just be how they do it as far as how it looks. I haven't had any voltage drops but after about 1000 miles I think I may have blown my VR. I'm getting fed up with this bike. The relay on the wiring harness is blown and have brown on the plug so it has blown pretty good. I haven't even messed with it yet to see if the VR is done or not. I'm getting tired of dumping money in a bike with 5000 miles on it. It took 26000 miles before I had to do anything over 100 bucks to my XB and in 5000 on my CR I'm already above 200 before I even look at this issue and if it is the VR is will be another over 100 bucks issue. I don't know why everything would be fine on the VR and relay then suddenly when I get a rewind I start having problems. I feel your pain.

Sorry to hear you guys are having issues. Here is a cool page I found where a guy did his own stator rewind and has put together a great write up with lots of good info! Check it out and hope it may help! http://hildstrom.com/projects/buellstator/index.html

@ Vance; I looked around on the web and a lot of people are just unplugging that extra wire harness that was the recall upgrade and plugging it into the VR. I am assuming that is what your talking about? I just unplugged mine and plugged it into the VR and now I am now getting the 13.9-14.3 volt range that everyone was talking about. I thought my VR was shot and it was actually just a jacked up battery. Let me know what you do, I am assuming that this battle is not over with.

@ Vance; I looked around on the web and a lot of people are just unplugging that extra wire harness that was the recall upgrade and plugging it into the VR. I am assuming that is what your talking about? I just unplugged mine and plugged it into the VR and now I am now getting the 13.9-14.3 volt range that everyone was talking about. I thought my VR was shot and it was actually just a jacked up battery. Let me know what you do, I am assuming that this battle is not over with.
    Thats actually what I'm going to do to test mine cause if I keep getting the same symptoms then I will know its the VR and if it's good I'm just gonna ride it like that. I think with the Hot Shot Rewind it might be overpowering the relay and caused it to blow. I'll know more on Wed when I get a change to bypass it and ride her around. I had to go out of town this weekend and have night class till Wed so I will be able to then plus it will be warm enough to ride the CR. I've just been riding my XB since it happend and it is wired for my heated gear so it is what I normally ride when it is chilly. I'll let you know my results.

I removed the harness with the relay today and rode about 100 miles with stops and it didn't cut out my dash at all. Everything ran perfect. I replaced my blown headlight and I'm just going to run it without the harness until it does it again. Removing the harness seems to have fixed it though.

That's awesome. I know they installed that harness to reduce the amount of heat, I am kinda banking on the idea that the rotor with the orifice hole along with the higher temp wind that Rick's did, will hold up. I use my bike as a car basically and when i am running errands I do a lot of stop and go. Normally I am going to and from work which is about a 9 mile drive and I have been monitoring the voltage constantly. So far so good. I am curious if you removed the harness entirely? There is a small plug that goes into it and i am not sure where that would go if you were to completely remove it. I have the harness wound up around the rear brake reservoir with that small plug still connected.