Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Plastidip

Who worked with that ? Happy with the results ? I think I might paint my frame and swingarm black(yeah the SS one I bought :D). I was thinking of plastidip because I can always go back .... I'm hoping to get a finish close to the latest XB's, like kinda satin black ... Would the regular black be too glossy or should I go with the camo black ? I don't want to buy a can just to test because one can here, in Quebec,Canada, costs 20$ !
    Is the finish nice enough to paint a frame with ? Will it last, knowing that legs are rubbing on the frame all the time ?

Thanks, any info welcomed !

The challenge you'll have with something like a swing arm is, if it pulls loose, you'll have to re-do it. And in order for it to look good, you'll probably have to pull your swing arm off which is more work than its worth just for Plastidip. It's a cool product, but I don't think it's a long term solution for what you're trying to do. Ive used it enough to have some basic experience with it.

Certain places its fun to mess around with, easily accessible places/parts, but I don't know that I'd do an entire swing arm. Probably not what you wanted to hear Big Twin, but again just my opinion. Try it out on some other parts first, like frame rails, or plastics, etc.

you'll probably have to pull your swing arm off
    I WILL have the swingarm in my hands, I'm changing it !

Powder coat it and be done...

don't plasti-dip your frame or swing arm you will regret it when it starts to peel of because you accidently kinked it. Rather paint it with a black enamel or if you got $$ powder coat it.

Checked your link Ryan, now I`m even more confused .... some say it`s bad idea, some say this stuff is good ...
    The reason I want to do this is that I will be changing my swingarm for an SS. It has road rash I have to fix and it won`t be same color as my frame. So either way I have to paint it.Might as well change the color to black, I like the black bikes(last generation of XBs), but I don`t want to undo the whole frame to get it powder coated ... and like I said, I can always go back .... argghhhh tough it would be an easier decision ...
    Or I simply paint my swingarm with a rattle can of Buells graphite gray like my frame ..... I really like the black frames ....

I have alot of experience with plasti dip. It absolutely 100% will not work on your frame. Your legs will peel it. If you already have the swingarm removed, powdercoat it. If plasti dip is $20 a can it will cost you as much as powdercoating. Good luck!

My experience with plasti-dip is it always (no matter how well you prep the surface) peels (at least the spray on stuff...). From everything I gather on it, it is meant to completely surround the surface it is meant to coat. If you have an edge anywhere it will eventually come loose. Imagine an entire side of the frame coming off at 80mph+. I wouldn't risk it... It is your bike hwever, and it will probably look good for awhile.

The rattle can would be a better short-term solution than the plastidip, IF you're waiting to powder coat.

But again, if you decided to powder coat later, you'll have to pull the swing arm off again. Which is no small task.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast