Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: DIY Fuel pump fix. Cheaper than replacement from HD

Just did my fuel pump, strainer, and filter on my 09 xb12scg. For those of you with 08+ bikes, note that the strainer is different from earlier years (the connector to the strainer is much smaller and offset from the center of the pump). When I replaced my fuel pump I used a pump listed in the cross-reference thread and it had the larger, centered strainer connector from earlier year pumps. Also, I would recommend purchasing the two o-rings for the fuel pump housing for sealing the housing when installing back into the tank. My o-rings were a little stretched out but we managed to get them back in without punching them.

Also, when you remove the pump from the bike, rotate the housing about a quarter turn to the left (counterclockwise) to sneak it out past the swing arm.

Finally, my new pump has a lower pitched sound than my stock pump. It seems to run fine though, so wondering if others have had similar observations.

Edit: I had to get back in and replace my fuel regulator, so I decided to film it with my gopro. Here is a step by step for removing and installing the fuel pump assembly... Enjoy!

Last edited by ocgreenmachine; 05-25-2016 at 02:42 PM.

Nice write up indeed. I've had a similar issue except it happened 350 miles away from home on the Canadian border.
    Ended up getting the OEM pump cause I didn't know any better. But the old one is still sitting in the garage.
    Gonna have to spruce it up to have as back up.

Getting ready to swap my pump. it stays running after it primes. sounds like it is half voltage. so I know it is on the way out. I am using a walbro gss 340 that I had from my 89 mustang. 255lph pump. should work fine. Walbro-GSS-Fuel-Pumps.jpg

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910