Page 12 of 21 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: First of the Last

Seems to look alright!

Quote Originally Posted by SEXT9 View Post
    It that time of year again when its getting colder out and I start looking for things to do. It's bugged me since last year that I couldn't get the 1190SX headlight to look the way I wanted it to. I have a look that I'm going for so in the back of my mind I'm still working everything out. So I'm not ready to tear down the Buell again just yet.

Meanwhile I've got this 1190SX headlight & housing here. I thought I might do some tinkering with it. The Garmin Zumo fits good side to side. However, the GPS is shorter than the housing. I don't see a problem there. I think the housing is to tall anyway. I guess I'll just chop the top.

Attachment 5878Attachment 5879Attachment 5880Attachment 5881

So it's out with the Dremel tool and carbon fiber again. The housing was beat up anyway. So if it don't work. There's no real loss here.
    So the Garmin will give you GPS. Will you have any sort of gauges for other functions like speed, odometer, fuel, etc?

I currently use the Garmin to track my speed, odometer and fuel. However this time around I plan to use the Garmin for gps and music. Then I'll use a Motogadget Motoscope Mini for the speedo and tach.

Over the weekend I moved the Flasher and Relay under the airbox where the rest of the electronics are. Its not complete yet though

Wow! It's been a while since I worked on this bike. It's been sitting for a while. I bought a 09 Harley Night Train for my wife to sit on the back of so she's more comfortable. After an hour on this one, she's an angry woman. I call the Harley her bike and this one mine. I know that's backwards from what a typical Harley rider would say. It took me a wile to change the out parts on the Harley to suit me.

20170529_103247.jpg 20170529_103347.jpg 20170529_103404.jpg

Anyway here's some progress pictures. I've got the dash housing shaped pretty well the way I want it. I also started repairing the fairing sides. The road rash and blue color drove me crazy. I'll repair these temporarily until I find some new ones.

Also the wiring update is complete. I had the move the flasher and relay from the from the headlight area to under the air box cover. Now all of the electronics have been moved there.
    If this wasn't an intermediate stage to my next one, I'd probably buy the new speed of color air box cover and go for the whole mini EBR 1190SX look.

Untitled.jpg

Hell who knows, I might do it anyway for the hell of it. At least it would be a real Black Lighting. Have a nice Memorial Day weekend guys!
    Last edited by SEXT9; 05-29-2017 at 03:22 PM.

I still love this bike!

Funnily the headlight pod on my SX is not my favorite thing, but on your XB it's absolutely brilliant (PUUUUNNNN!!!).

They're pretty proud of that airbox cover aren't they

Thanks Cooter. I'm not 100% on the headlight. But it's part of an end look I'm going for. Who knows, I might get to the end of it an go back to the CR Headlight. It's a good thing all this is modular.

I got the Exacto knife, ruler, Balsa wood and hot glue gun out tonight to build form to house the Garmin Zumo. I hope to get it overlaid with some carbon fiber over the weekend.

20170601_230328.jpg 20170601_230309.jpg 20170601_230250.jpg

Over the weekend I installed some Chrome Glow switches for the turn signal running lights and the low beam headlight. I fitted them in the lower bracket where the factory turn signals mounted. The switches cover the holes nicely. I learned from the last headlight I like having options. There are times when I want to run just the headlight DRL. Then there are other times I want all of the lights on.

Today I ordered some 3 prong weatherproof connectors. The headlight doesn't come with wiring harness plugs. So I hope what I ordered will plug in to the back of the headlight. If not, I'll be out a dollar and breaking out the soldering iron with the hot glue gun.

I also laid up some carbon fiber over the dash pieces. Since I was working with carbon I also fabbed up a fin to go under the Pegasus right side scoop. It'll match the left side in that respect. I'll post more pics when I get farther along.
    Last edited by SEXT9; 06-05-2017 at 03:56 PM.

The fin on the bottom of the right side scoop is done. It now matches the left side.
    2017-06-09 19.28.00.jpg

The carbon fiber dash is also now complete with the Garmin Zumo installed. There are some imperfections in the dash. But I'm fine with it for now.
    2017-06-09 19.26.49.jpg 2017-06-09 19.27.23.jpg 2017-06-09 19.27.07.jpg

I'm currently wet sanding the fairing sides. I hope to complete those over the weekend.

I have the headlight all wired. And the front end is all mocked up with everything working.

I wasn't sure how I was going to wire up the headlight. I bought it with no wiring harness pigtail or plugs. I looked on eBay and searched for 3 pin weatherproof connectors.

s-l1600.jpg
    I took a chance on these plugs. They fit perfectly and I got them for 1$ each. So if anyone else is looking at adding an EBR 1190SX or an 1190RX headlight to their bike, these are the plugs you need. I also saw some pre-made pigtails as well.

Last edited by SEXT9; 06-11-2017 at 12:51 AM.

Page 12 of 21 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast