Thread: studdering/knocking/backfiring????

after I put on my k&n filter I noticed that my engine sometimes starts clunking almost until I give it some gas and basically whenever I give it a quick blip of the throttle it backfires.

Is this just because of the K&N with stock ecm and exhaust or something I should be worried about?

its a 09 xb12scg btw

Inactive
    sounds lean to me krause and these bikes don't respond well to "quick blips" of the throttle. are your plugs in good shape? many on the board who have swithched to a K&N air filter in lieu of stock element have suffered lean tendencies with their stock ECM fueling.

I am also thinking to buy K&N only because it is 40% cheaper than the stock, i am happy from the bike performance as is so i am not looking to gain something just to save money and avoid my dealer every time i need a new filter.
    so is the K&N need other adjustments or can i drop it in and that it?
    Is the pipercross filter any different (except from the fact it is made of foam)?

krause95,you have newer bike so reset your TPS with the key turn method described here on the forum the KEY Turn Method will let it Idle properly.
    If you can't find it post up and we'll put it in for you.
    The 2008 through 2010 bikes need the TPS Reset more often than the older bikes do. There is NO Idle Screw to set on the newer bikes,08/2010 the Preprogramed ECM takes care of that.
    The Newer Bikes Engines do run lean from EPA Standards but the Freeflowing Air Filter will not hurt the Engine, AS Long AS you leave the Inner Stock Airbox Alone and just install the Filter. YOU do however need to preSpray(lightly) the Mesh Filter with the Lightweight Oil usually supplied by K&N filter company for the Filter is supposed to be an Wet Oil Mesh Filter. Don't Soak it too death[outside Area of Filter] just enough to let the Filter do it's job.
    K&N sells the kit and will last for a long time done properly.The Throttle POsition Reset-(TPS) will help the Engine Idle Properly at 1'100/RPMs. When Resetting the TPS sensor after starting let it Idle for a Couple of minutes.Post up if you need some more information. &Jimi

AS Long AS you leave the Inner Stock Airbox Alone and just install the Filter

when ur installing race applications; it gets tricky but just keep in mind the "role" of the part u install.

example:

race muffler- spent exhaust flowing faster, easier, backpressure

hi-flo- faster air intake; less restrictive

race ecm- more fuel, air ratios for performance

combinations:
    -race muffler only
    -race muffler/hi-flo
    -race muffler/hi-flo/race ecm

one usually compliments the other, however certain applications are used as stand-alone features

take it on the interstate and ride 20 min out and 20 min back holding the rpm between 2500 and 3500 and see if your ecm adjusts if that dosnt work time for more of a tune. good luck

I have an 05 lightning that does the same thing. It even shuts off on me all of a sudden. It has done it a couple of times while on the freeway. I have had to roll onto the emergency lane to turn it back on. I also did that breather mod a few months ago so I was wondering if that had anything to do with it. It seems as if that gunk escapes out of the breather filter vice draining into the catch bottle. I am thinking a putting it the way it was. Can anyone shed some light on the subject. Thank you.

Correafi, the bike you have I don't know of the Skills you have OR mods you have or Maintenance done so here goes.
    How many miles? Recheck your Previous work.
    Make sure to have the Breather line open for good air/Ventalion.
    Is the Keyswitch in good shape? not a lot of Keys on the Key holder causing stress on the Tumbler.
    No W/D forty in the Keyswitch.
    How good is the Start/Kill Switch? When you Stall and pull over do you Turn Off the Start/Kill Switch? Then Turn it right back on HEARING the PUMP Prime? Small Things First.
    Also have you reset the TPS(Throttle Position Sensor) and reset it so the Bike Idles Properly and runs well?
    Daves DIY videos all in one Thread here on the Forum is a good place to start for learning about your Ride. Just look that up and Enjoy those Videos.
    You will use the info and be able to get started learning your Bike.
    JUST make sure to [just Snug] the OIL DRAIN plugs when changing the Fluids so as not to strip out the Drain plugs.
    NOW, the Bike Restarts right back up I'm Assuming when you pull over to Restart it after it Stalls? If the Bike Idles properly then it Might be time for a Filter(Fuel)that is inside the Frame. Should you do that then PAY close attention to this area of working on. Order the proper parts if the Bike has Over 16'000/miles on it The O'rings Cannot be REUSED.
    If you have never done the Filter then [maybe] it is time to do so.Especially if the Bike sits alot or Cheap Fuell is used.
    You can always Test the Pumps Pressure up at the Throttle body if you have the Tools.Have you checked the Spark Plugs and the Wires? How about the Battery Terminals? An Easy thing is to use/ Run some [Seafoam] Fuel Injection Cleaner in your fuel tank.
    Remember DO NOT pour the Entire Contents of the Can in the Tank. Used properly over 3/fillups per bottle on your first Use/ of SeaFoam will clean out injectors and residue.
    Read up and add properly, making it last for at Least 3/ Tankfulls per bottle. This will at least get you started on the Maintenance. SeaFoam works better than the cheap brands and actually works well.
    Make sure to recheck your Breather ReRoute especially if the problem Started After you did the Breather job. Remember the Reroute gives the Rocker Covers and Crankcase more air(PCV)Positive Crankcase Ventalation and will help some depending on how it's done and where you live.
    I have never done mine cause I use a Freeflowing Air Filter. Never had Oil pool up inside the AirBox bottom plate on Either of the XB12Rs I own. There is plenty of Help here on the Forum. Welcome to the Forum! Try out those Videos then post up if needed. Take your time Start with your previous work and the Seafoam Injector Cleaner. *Jimi

Thanks Jimi. I have been out of the loop for a while and noticed the reply.