Thread: Injector O Rings

Hi,

Don't suppose anyone knows the size of the injector o rings on an 2004 xb12 (I'm sure its the same size for all models).

HD want £12 each!! I thought if it's a common size I could get them elsewhere, or if anyone knows of a cheaper location you'd make me happy :p

Banned
    I believe those o-rings are just Viton o-rings. You can buy a bunch of them for price of one o-ring packed in Buell bag. I am looking for size and hardness info of those o-rings to buy them on McMaster. I could measure them directly, but maybe someone already knows, so I can order them in advance.
    Last edited by TPEHAK; 09-24-2017 at 12:06 AM.

Banned
    OK. I measured O-ring sizes on my injectors from 2009 Buell XB12 SCG.

Both O-ring on injector top and bottom are the same size.

O-ring sizes:

Inside diameter: 7.9 mm (0.3110 in)
    Outside diameter: 14.9 mm (0.5866 in)
    O-ring section width: 3.5 mm (0.1378 in)

Material: Viton

Hardness: it feels like about 70-75 Shore A.

Banned
    Here you go

https://www.mcmaster.com/#9464K543

It looks like this will fit. So you will have 25 injector o-rings for price of 1 o-ring packed in Buell labeled bag.

By the way. I used this kit to clean my injectors. It fits like a glove

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Last edited by TPEHAK; 09-24-2017 at 12:46 AM.

Banned
    Picked up injector gaskets today in Autozone. They sell them in one pack with different sizes. This pack includes the size which is the same as O-ring size on Buell injectors.

Right is original O-ring, left is o-ring from Autozone

Banned
    I have got today Viton o-rings from McMaster I ordered for injectors https://www.mcmaster.com/#5267t166/=19qshx9 . Just want to confirm they are the same size and same hardness as the Buell injectors o-rings or o-rings from Autozone I bought. They also have certificate, cure date, and shelf life info. Shelf life is 20 years. So there is no reason to buy expensive Buell genuine o-rings for injectors piece by piece, just buy a bunch of them for cheap on McMaster and save a bunch of money. Or find same size and same hardness Viton o-rings I mentioned above somewhere else.

Last edited by TPEHAK; 10-10-2017 at 01:22 AM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Silverrider View Post
    Shelf life is 20 years is one thing, But how long will the last installed compressed in place, and in the heat of a bike engine such as a air cooled V twin Buell ?
    Same as the original. They are the same material (Viton, temperature range -10° to 400° F), same hardness and same size. Viton is the only fuel resistant material with highest temperature range for injectors o-rings, exceptional wear and tear resistance and permanent compression resistance. Basically there is no any better options for this application. If genuine Buell o-rings is different material, they are worst than Viton o-rings. But I am sure they made of Viton, because of this is the only material for injectors o-rings.
    Last edited by TPEHAK; 10-10-2017 at 01:46 AM.

Banned
    Probably. I found my original o-rings have visible micro cracks if I slightly stretch them, and the original o-rings was slightly squished, not too bad, I could reuse them, but I decided to replace them, they are cheap on McMaster or Autozone.
    Last edited by TPEHAK; 10-10-2017 at 01:58 AM.

slightly related. Its been about a month + with no issues, but when i replaced mine on my injectors, i didnt pay close enough attention when pulling the clamps off the injectors, and didnt realize until it was too late re-installing them, that i had to slightly pull them off of the fuel rail in order to get that notch on the clip to slide back in. well i broke one until i figured this out. how big an issue to you suppose this can be?