Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Fix for the Primary Cover

Looking at ordering a kit. Still selling them?

Extra info for whoever cares...My cover gave out will in traffic. I have 43,300 miles. This is with a few track days and on and off road abuse. So I new mine might fail one day, oh and I have a Energy One clutch kit with the stiffer spring installed.

Thanks for the additional info. It really helps track the Buell-issues
    BTW, What type of bike? You said on and off road is it an STT? And why the stiffer springs in the clutch? is the motor modded? I'm positive the clutch springs weren't helping the ramp problem.

Yep still selling kits! Glad you were able to get that many miles before cover failure...quite amazing really! Those spring kits have proven to be a little too much for the stock primary cover on the Buells as well as Harley's...
    Last edited by dflack001; 08-29-2016 at 03:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    Thanks for the additional info. It really helps track the Buell-issues
    BTW, What type of bike? You said on and off road is it an STT? And why the stiffer springs in the clutch? is the motor modded? I'm positive the clutch springs weren't helping the ramp problem.
    Its an 2005 XB 12 R. Correction to the on and off road, ment to say on and off rough riding, i.e. power wheelies, hard acceleration, etc. I put the stiffer spring in, really just to do it and it was same price atm I replaced my clutch. I can also be wrong about the spring being "stiffer"; reason i say this, correct me if I'm wrong, but didnt the older xb's have a stiffer spring plate? If so, then its probly just the same amount of stiffness as it had stock.

Also, not sure it matters but I have had to have the 2nd gear fork and the shifting gear "cam" (not sure what its really called) replaced. That was probly due to me not clutching when I down shifted from 2nd to neutral. So since I was in there I replaced the clutch pack. That was I think around 15k miles, clutch pack still looked good, just replaced since it was apart.

I have a few questions about this kit.

What tools are needed for installation. I have hand tools, a hand drill, and a drimmel. Is a drill press or other "machining" tools required?

How easy is it to install?

Are you still doing the installation and rebuild as an option?

Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by macdiver View Post
    I have a few questions about this kit.

What tools are needed for installation. I have hand tools, a hand drill, and a drimmel. Is a drill press or other "machining" tools required?

How easy is it to install?

Are you still doing the installation and rebuild as an option?
    dave's kits are unique and exceptional. not inexpensive but then you're buying the repair kit, his expertise, and his R&D. comes with instruction sheet....relatively easy to install......the tools and equipment you mentioned will suffice. no drill press required. what i WOULD recommend is buying his "hardware installation" kit and you must have red loc-tite on hand. buy from him with confidence as he's a long-time valued board member and in the US.

Thanks for the rep lunaticfringe, you rock!
    Yes, macdiver, I do still offer the refurb service and also have kits ready to go...just emailed you too. The install is not too bad, really just need to make sure it's milled down as precise as possible all the way around the opening within the specs listed in the instruction sheet. I have had good luck with a small, 90 degree die grinder with various grits of sanding discs. Really, the best way is to have it milled on a knee mill, which is how I do it now. Hope to do business with you soon!

I received my refurbished cover from Dave today. The paint job looks fantastic and the clutch fix looks professionally done. I installed it this evening and took the bike for a quick spin. The clutch is working great.

From the time I contacted Dave, he was very professional to work with. He kept me informed at each step via email including sending pictures. He refurbished and returned the cover to me much much quicker than I got it packed up and sent to him.

If anyone is thinking of using Dave to refurbish their cover, I highly recommend it. I am sure that buying the kit from him, he would be equally as professional.

Thank you Dave.

Wow, what a year so far! Thank you all who have purchased kits and sent primary covers to me to repair! I have recently established myself as a sole proprietor which means contact info has changed. You can get in touch with me via email at dmfmachining@gmail.com. I have also purchased my own CNC Milling Machine and will soon have a website up and running. More to come, will keep you all informed!
    -Dave

Good luck, and thank you for serving the Buell community!

Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast