Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scrubbing tires?

There's a discussion (pissing match) on another board about whether or not you have to scrub in tires. One guy says no, it's a myth, a few others say no, they race on sticker tires and don't scrub, others say yes, why not, better safe than sorry.

I take it easy for the first hundred miles or so, then let her rip. You?

depends on how you ride.i scrub mine in,usally 50 miles does it

Always been carefull on the first miles .... specially on slicks, on the track without warmers ..... but yeah , always !

I don't know what's "right" or "needed"... but I progressively lean the bike farther and farther. It's not a mileage thing... i don't want to dive into a corner and be completely on a patch of rubber that had not seen pavement before.

Keep in mind track guys are accustomed to a little slipping/sliding and generally do a warm-up lap or 2 anyways.

I just rip into the tires, install straight to the mountain. I notice maybe the slightest difference in performance difference which i associate with the temperature. Scrubbing tires in doesnt refer to 100 miles 200 miles or mileage at all. Just gotta get um hot and ride on all of it.

scrubbing tires in started from mold release agents that needed to be released from the tires to achieve grip and to get the tire heated up to avoid internal separation.with new technology mold release agents are no longer used by MOST manufacturers.the main concern now is tire temp most manufacturers say 165 - 175 degrees.i still scrub mine in the same way i did 30 years ago call it habit or peace of mind

^ and that was the thing I didn't get from this other thread, if that's true, then what does it hurt if you do take it easy for the first hundred miles or so?

I bought an OEM replacement Pirellii rear tire from Motorcycle Superstore. I remember thinking that it looked really shiny and slippery. I traveled one block, made a right turn, and went down so fast I didn't know what hit me. All I know is one second my bike was upright, the next second I was on the ground.

100 mile break-in on a new tire, MINIMUM.

and that was the thing I didn't get from this other thread, if that's true, then what does it hurt if you do take it easy for the first hundred miles or so?
    it wont hurt anything and is probably the best thing to do for you and the tire

http://www.sportrider.com/tips/146_0..._up_new_tires/

from dunlop
    How much run-in should I give a new tire?

When new tires are fitted, they should not be subjected to maximum power or hard cornering until a reasonable run-in distance of approximately 100 miles has been achieved.

This is necessary for a number of reasons. Replacements for worn tires with different patterns and construction will not react the same. Also, a new tire is stiffer than an old tire. The new tire has a rounder tread profile, different contact patch and "lean-over edge" than the worn profile of an old tire. The new tire will also not react the same in combination with its remaining tire.

Carrying out the required run-in will allow you to become accustomed to the "feel" of the new tires and tire combinations, so you are better able to achieve optimum road grip for use in high speed, high acceleration and handling situations.

from michelin
    Do I have to run my tires in?
    Yes. When new tires are fitted, they need to be run in for the first 60 miles or so, gradually increasing the lean of the bike and keeping to a moderate speed before the tire reaches optimum performance.

^

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast