Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rear bearing conversion .

Was wondering if anyone here has changed their rear bearing setup from the two bearing system to a three bearing setup like the 2010 lightning . ? I've just blown my second set of rear bearings and found that they use cheap ass Korean bearings . Was considering going to the three bearing set up . Was interested in wether anyone here has a source for the bearing spacer for the rear on a 09 xb12scg ?

I've done a couple 3 bearing wheel swaps. They are a much better setup!!! All the parts (bearing spacers included) are available from a dealer or American Sportbike. Really easy to get!

EricZ, After looking/waiting all summer, I picked up an '09 Uly XT last Sunday. So far I'm completely smitten with the bike! It only has 7,000 miles but was in need of new tires. When I was installing the tires (Pirelli ANGEL GT Gran Turismis, WONDERFUL TIRES) I noticed both rear wheel bearings were notchy and had too much resistance when spinning. I put the wheel back on as I needed to get home and needed to procure new bearings anyhow. Since that discovery just yesterday I've learned about the 3 bearing update! I'm pretty certain mine is just the two-bearing setup. I really do not recall seeing double bearings on the sprocket side. My big question to you, since you've done these conversions, is do I need a new rear wheel/rim to facilitate the extra bearing? Or just the kit that contains axle, 3 bearings and the spacer (which will obviously be shorter)? I found the kit but it says "You must have a wheel that is machined or made for the 3 bearing kit to work". Any insight is greatly appreciated! I actually just joined the forum so I could ask you this! Happy to be here!

2010 had the three bearing wheel. You need a 2010 wheel

Americansportbike.com sells both the kit and 2010 3 bearing wheel if you wanted to check it out.

Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by oh9bolt View Post
    2010 had the three bearing wheel. You need a 2010 wheel
    what jesse said right here. your 2009 does NOT have a 3-bearing rear wheel. you will have to buy a 2010 wheel new or used. the bearing pocket on right side is 2X the size of the pre-2010 wheel. if going with this conversion you will need the wheel, all 3 bearings(same left and right), the hub spacer. if your 2009 is hammering bearings you may have something else amiss such as faulty tensioner...pressure washing....incorrect wheel installation including critical torquing of axle....sub-standard bearings and faulty installation of same.

I agree with lunatic, I have an 09 firebolt and I have never had to swap the bearings. Every time I change the tires I check and they are always still good. I think I'll replace them at the 10,000 mile mark. So I would look a little deeper that just replacing the bearings.

Thank you all for the clarification! I definitely appreciate it! I think rather than spend $400 on a three bearing wheel setup, I will try a pair of better bearings than what the bike originally came with. I see Boca Bearings has a ceramic option. That may work well given the Uly's heavier payload. Pricey but if they outlast 2 sets + of steel bearings, would be worth it! Plus less wear and tear on the hub R&Iing the bearings.

I know better than to pressure wash any part of a bike. Regular garden hose on shower option for me and only when it really needs it. Doesn't mean the guy b/f me knew that. My guess is bearings developed corrosion from sitting around.

Banned
    3 bearings wheel has 2 bearing on the rear pulley side. The reason is because of the belt is constantly stretched under big load, all this load is on the small pilley side bearing. Plus the belt has Kevlar reinforced structure, so the belt works almost like stretched not adjusted chain without slack, each bump is like a hammer heat. So the pulley side bearing works under extreme load and can fail. Another way to improve the bearing situation is chain conversion kit. So if you don't want to swap the old style 2 bearings rear wheel to the 3 bearings rear wheel you can install chain conversion kit on the 2 bearings wheel and adjust proper chain slack.
    Last edited by TPEHAK; 09-16-2015 at 06:00 AM.

Good points TPEHAK! The belt does not have a lot of give, if any? One of the big reasons I like Buells (and Harely's) however is because they ARE belt driven. I don't think I could ever bring myself to do a chain conversion on either of my Buell's. The belt just makes so much sense! Quite in operation and essentially never needs ANY maintenance (except replacement eventually)! I guess this cost however is passed on to the rear wheel bearings. lol. I will likely pony up to the 3-bearing conversion down the road, pun intended, as I do not see myself selling this Uly anytime soon, if ever! I plan to make this bike show me the entire country so I will spare no expense in making it right. For this "round" of bearing replacement however, I still want to just change out the two bearings and see how long those last. I am strongly considering trying a pair of ceramics. Reading up on them on 'Boca Bearing' website, everything about the ceramics seems to make sense. Does anybody have any experience with using the ceramic bearings? Or does anybody have a recommendation on a superior steal bearing? SKF maybe? There's a pretty cool video on YouTube on how long a wheel will spin with ceramic bearing over steal ball bearings.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast