Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OD Green 1125R Plastidip

Washed her down, took off the plastics, and she's just about ready to go

Here's the first pic of it in progress. You can see on the nose fairing the first coat, the red shines through pretty well.

As far as prep I just washed it well and ran tack cloth over it before applying. I got a decent amount of runs... they say online to apply the first coat pretty thick, but I had problems with it running around curves and stuff. As it starts to solidify and tack up though the second and third coats actually clean it up. Getting the corners of the plastics was pretty tricky to get the paint to take, but again after a few coats it does well.

I left the plastics as pictured above for a reapplication the next day. I taped off the Buell logos and radiator scoops as well as my gopro mount on the tank, and I'd tape off the tank protector if I had one. I decided to just let her dry for now and hit it tomorrow, but honestly I think I'd be alright using them now after 2.5 coats (I say half because I applied two and sorta brushed over them as I was leaving to empty the can I was on.)

For it to get where it is, it took three entire cans. I have another three since they came in a six pack, but I plan on really only using one more for now.

It tacks up and solidifies after about 20 minutes, and was pretty easy to apply. If I had to do it again I'd probably make the first coat thinner, but altogether it's going well. The last thing I'll do for now is put a USAF roundel on the radiator pods, then call it good.

All done. Everything turned out alright, a couple runs here and there but overall looks pretty decent. The airbox cover is in rough shape but I only gave it two coats before I realized I should wait until my new tank protector came in so I left it and just took the tape off.

Lookin goooood.

You have to be really careful when refueling it though, otherwise it will melt offffff......

Nice.

I've been playing with this idea for my XB12Scg (same color).

Thought you said you washed her?

Nice. I like those colors. I've been following this thread on badweb. Been waiting to see how it turned out. Looks good.

^ Thumb of approval.

Well I washed the plastics i meant.

It did turn out well, aside from the airbox cover. You can't see it, but around the lettering some dip came up and revealed red. But again, that only had two coats and I guess I wasn't as careful as I would have been if I'd known I wouldn't touch it again. Still, next time I know what I have to do with the tape to prevent anything from coming up, and that is cutting it just to the shape of the object and just the top, not the sides.

Still, imperfections aren't the end of the world. You can always apply more later.

Looks good. I wasn't too sure about the color combo when I read the thread headline though! lol. BTW, USAF colors are blue, Army is OD Green. :D

BeefSupreme: How is it holding up? Especially around the airbox cover. Thx.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast