Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: hawk versus buell race exhaust

does anyone have a comparison? power and sound. Ive been searching but haven't seen these 2 compared much. I have a hawk, just picked up a race pipe, just curious as to how different they will be. Ive had my hawk pipe since I bought the bike back in winter of 09.

also to all you ecm tuning guru's. I do have ecm spy, haven't used it yet. but is there a map I can use for a race pipe with a k&n air filter? or is there a way I can get help tuning the bike? I know it needs a tune, and a tps reset, but i haven't attempted to do it myself yet.

The Hawk will be (much) louder. Depending on the year of your bike, there are race maps that match the race pipe out there on the "interwebs." Check out buellmods.com.

The Hawk will be (much) louder.
    so the race pipe is that much quieter? I like the loudness of the hawk.

Yes, although I've only had limited interactions with the race can. A friend had one on his bike. It was pretty tame at an idle and leaving my driveway. I can't speak for it's sound under load but I'm sure others here can.

A guy on here that I ride with has a race can and it's not that loud. Sounds good, I'd say similar to a stock 12 muffler with the valve wired open.

hmmm well if I don't like it I can always try another brand later I suppose!

I can't say I've heard too many people complain about them. They demand lots of money on Ebay in good condition so you always have that going. :p

It really depends on how much you want to bother your neighbors! Haha! I just installed the Torque Hammer II on mine. To be honest, I was concerned at idle as I thought it wasn't loud enough, but after twisting the throttle during a ride all that changed. It has a very aggressive yet controlled sound. Perhaps the Race Can is the same?

We recently did a Buell exhaust SPL (sound pressure level) study. If you want loud, then go either with the D&D or the Hawk. Unfortunately, the race exhaust wasn't included in the study. :(

Hawk is louder but race is deeper & lighter. Hawk was nice tho for a modified pipe

I guess ill have to just test it out when it gets here! I need to learn how to get into ecm spy to tune it for the pipe and k&n thats my main concern now. even with the hawk on the bike now, I have never tuned it.

There's lots of reading out there. It's fairly simple though after you get over the initial intimidation.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast