Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Please Help - Attached Bin BUEGB231 -2006 Buell XB12

Hello,

I am very new to buells and came across a beautiful 2006 Buell XB12SS.

I received it only idling.

I downloaded Turner Pro RT and all the XDFs and ADX files to tune the bike.

First) There is a lot to figure out. Second) I am learning how to run the program but I am still new. and third) I just need a little direction.

Can I attach my current Bin that I have downloaded to the ECM. BUEGB231-7-27-2014.
    Would any one be able to look at it and see where I need to make any corrections.

Currently the bike will start, Idle and REV slowly. As soon as I give it a quick throttle the engine cuts down to idle. If I leave the throttle open after I turn it quickly, the engine will cut down to idle then bounce up to 1900 or so RPMs.

Any thoughts?

No guarantees, but I will help if I can! In addition to the current Bin in your ECM, I also need a data log recording of the issue.

If you have the correct XDF (ex: BUEGB_V5.xdf) .ADX loaded (ex: DDFI_2_2003-2007_Codes_Test__TPS.16245915.adx), recording is simply a matter of doing the following:
    1. Tools -> Release Emulation Hardware
    2. Then Acquisition -> Start/Stop Data Scan (or click on double arrows icon)
    You should see DA:Connected" in blue at the bottom
    3. Then click on the red Recording button on the Log toolbar to start recording.

The recording needs to start *before* you crank the bike, then start the bike, and then do what is needed to duplicate the issue, then let it idle again, then stop the recording (just click the stop button). Tunerpro will save the recording as a .XDL file, which is what I need in addition to the .Bin. The more recordings (and the longer), the better.

It would also be helpful to have another recording where you let it idle for at least 120 seconds before attempting to give it throttle.

readyxb

Thank you very much. I will perform those tests tomorow and record the data log.

I tried to attach the bin but was unable to. Do you know of a way I can send the data so you can retrieve it?

Again, Thank you!!

You could get a free Dropbox account, upload there, and then pm me the link.

I'll share my google drive folder with you. Good idea!
    The testing is going to have to wait until I fix the loose plug wires I found today.

I am going to need an email to share the google drive or Dropbox.

I did the data logging and tried to send it by PM. let me know if you got it.

How do you view an XDL file?

How do you view an XDL file?
    Acquisition -> Load Log File...
    Then Acquisition -> Show Dash or Show Data List, etc. The views are customizable to show whatever you like.
    All the pictures I show below can be duplicated in Tunerpro RT on the "Show Monitors..." view.
    -----------

I spent some time reviewing your logs. I have several theories. I am posting here rather than as a pm just in case other people on the forum have ideas or see something I have missed!

In order of my suspected likelihood, they are:
    1. poor ground to the coil and/or engine and/or wiring harness
    And, less likely are...
    2. leaking fuel injector
    3. weak ignition coil
    4. consistently or intermittently too high fuel pressure.

The logs:
    Idle Test_27JUL201
    a. there is noise on VSS (bike speed). It bounces constantly between 0 and 1 MPH. I assume the bike was stationary during recording and you don't have a pet monkey that was bouncing around on the seat?

b. there were three communications "corruptions" that show up as spikes, where all values went off the scale. I know these to be corruptions because the "Seconds" count before/after were normal, but during the spike, Seconds jumped to "62,988".

c. the ECM is reducing fuel consistently by 20%. This turns out to be true in your other logs as well.
    The typical causes are a) leaking injector(s), b) weak spark, c) too much fuel pressure, or d) dirty spark plugs.
    Another remote possibility is having a high voltage bias (above .499 volts) on the O2 sensor, causing the appearance of an overall rich signal. This could point to a grounding issue at the engine or in the harness.

Rev Test1_27JUL2014
    Very revealing. This is what made me suspect a grounding issue, which is likely causing weak or inconsistent spark.
    a. VSS signal bounces between 0 and 3 and every value in between.

b. RPM stairstep effect while at full load (255), just as you mentioned

First Test_27JUL2014:
    a. Looked the most "normal" of all the logs, but still 20% too rich!

b. You were able to gain and hold RPM

c. But, there was still data corruption shown as "spikes" in the log:

Overall notes:
    - In all three logs, the runtime value "flags3", bit 5 ("Security Kill" ) was toggling on/off! I have found no documentation on this flag, but I checked a handful of other logs I have saved and never saw this bit active. Anybody have ideas?
    - During idle, the O2 sensor looks healthy and has very nice transitions
    - Engine and Intake temps look normal, within range, and slowly increased as they should.

Suggestions:
    Regarding the performance issues:
    1. Check the ignition coil mounting bolts to be sure they are tight.
    2. Check engine ground strap and wiring harness grounds (there are several).

Regarding the data corruption:
    3. There is also the possibility of a chaffed wire that occasionally rubs another chaffed wire or ground.
    Check the data link connector and wires going back to the ECM. It's also a good idea to unplug and re-seat both ECM connectors (black and gray)!
    4.Check the wires in your diags cable (or is it bluetooth?).
    Pull out rear rubber seal and be sure the wire crimps are secure.

After ruling out the above inspections, can we move on to other theories, such as fuel injectors, fuel pressure, etc.

Also, since you had concerns about the Bin image in your other post, I should also mention that the binary looked fine and matched the values for an XB12 factory race ecm.

ReadyXB,

That was amazing!!! I was checking all day for your response.

Ill answer your questions.

No monkey on the seat. The bike was stationary but was in a wood shed (could it possibly vibrate the floor enough to affect that value)?
    No bluetooth, I use a data cable that I just bought.

After reading a few posts today, I as well thought of a grounding issue. I also found, before I performed those tests, my plugs to be fouled which wouldn't allow my bike to start as well as a loose plug wire. I cleaned the plugs and fixed the plug wire and then I performed the tests.
    I will sure be checking all of my grounds and report back what I have found.

Again...THANK YOU!!!

So far I haven't had much time to really do a lot to the bike but I was able to remove the Coil pack and clean the connections ( connection were not bad). I then added a ground wire from the coil pack to the ground wire on the battery. I also zipped tied the exhaust valve wide open on top of the air breather. I performed a good TPS reset and then took it out for a test ride. It road a lot better then before but as soon as I hit the throttle it dies right out. I was able to slowly accelerate and the RPMs up to around 6k. It is only when I turn the throttle fast. I feel as though it is reaching a limit that was set up to cut the engine if the throttle turns to fast. Is that possible. I also think it makes a difference on where the RMS are in the scale to how quick it dies. I then runs a little worse for a little while until I just keep the engine running with out dieing longer.

I brought it home and then did a data log of it idling with a little revving. I shared the folder with you on my Google Drive.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast