Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Stripped primary adjustment - What now?

Those are not cracks, it is heat check in the tool steel when the cover was cast.

Thanks all for the input. I readjusted the primary chain tension (w/o stripping the plug this time! - or ripping out my TimeSert!). A new issue has popped up, and perhaps I already know the solution, so just looking for confirmation and additional input.

Now, the whine/groan is gone when started and put into gear. Unfortunately, when in gear the clutch doesn't engage. Is this a slipping clutch? I haven't readjusted the clutch through the inspection cover yet, as I need to grab some rear stands to level the bike so primary fluid doesn't pour out the clutch inspection cover, but I have adjusted it at the cable adjuster. I'm really hoping that this is a clutch adjustment issue, as it is disconcerting to have the bike do nothing when in gear, clutch released and throttle applied. I feel so close, yet so far away...

Thanks for your continued help everyone!

For the clutch adjustment Read this. There are pictures in the first post. Then scroll down a few posts and "gatorbuell" explained it. Its easy and most likely your issue.

For the primary chain read this. Read Hammel13's post. That's a good simple way.

Good luck with it. In case you haven't heard the clutch cable that threads into the primary cover is very fragile. If you haven't broken it yet your probably good. But just keep it in mind.

WHOOOOO!!! I finally got everything adjusted by the book and it is working and so far nothing is leaking or has rattled loose. I am going to do a test ride for 30 minutes in a bit just to double check everything but it feels great having completed this and not paid HD. Whether it was worth the cursing, the mess, and the worries about fecking something up is another matter, but it feels good to be done.

Thanks all!!!

P.S. There are still two or three Time Sert inserts and a kit for anyone that needs it. I will thrown in my tap handle, as I hope to never need to use it again. :) If you find yourself in need, send me a PM. -Kellen

Ride it easy for a bit and please get a New Primary Cover your second picture shows a crack right where many bolts have over tightended. at the top. Get one While you can get a new one.
    yes some of that is just the way the covers get with the heat issues these bikes have some when the Part was made but not in Second picture.. The V shape is a beginning crack from inside to out.Usually from One bolt overtightend more than others. Need to keep those Bolts Snug not too tight. Do not Torque them to specs on that cover you have on the bike now.. Ride safe. Jimi*

Well, heat checking or not, the time is come to replace the primary cover. The fix held, but the primary adjustment had a slight seep. I haven't riddent it much since the repair (a few hundred miles) but it has held up fairly well.

I have a replacement (new) primary cover, new primary gasket, and gaskets for the inspection covers as well. Thinking about replacing clutch cable since I'll be in there. Are clutch cables interchangeable across models? i.e. will a XB12X clutch cable from 2008+ work on my 09XT?

Inactive
    will a XB12X clutch cable from 2008+ work on my 09XT?

yes......assuming the stock bars haven't been changed.

Hey mate. I thought I'd share a trick that i used on my 05 bolt that has stood the test of time... well about one and a half years anyway. I used a tapered gas fitting and a collar on the inside of the case for security. I made the mistake of using a helicoil at first with the same seeping result as you. Drilled it out, tapped it and screwed in the fitting and the brass collar on the inside with some loctite so there's no chance it will pull through the light alloy case. Just beware when drilling to make sure it's parallel to the sealed side of the case and not 90 degrees to where it screws in.

I'll try and upload some photos.

Goodluck20170221_161146.jpg20170221_161204.jpg20170221_161214.jpg

That is an excellent repair ! Does the mating drain plug come with it, if so, how does it seal ?

Thanks for posting this up.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast