Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Stripped primary adjustment - What now?

Jam nut is correct.
    no ****, i never noticed in the manual and ive read it and looked at the pictures so many times. you are right though thats how its shown.

but back to the point of the thread(hah get it) helicoils work great. last one i did i used a permacoil brand kit as it was real cheap and we didnt have the right helicoil kit at work.

Thanks a million for the replies everyone. I have been debating on doing it myself w/ an insert, w/ a new primary cover as well as debating just taking it to HD. (They've been very supportive of me in the past.) With your reassurances I am confident I can remove and reinstall the primary on my own (i.e. with someone drinking beer, supervising, and saying "don't do that!") I agree with the advice that an insert will push my mechanical abilities farther than I am comfortable, unless someone is in the area that can supervise the process and I will also look into ordering a new primary cover.

I am in Portland, OR if anyone is available to help with this one. No rush, as I'm going to be out of town for the next three weekends (it shouldn't be a problem if the bike sits in this condition for about a month, should it?)

Anyway, thanks again, and I will be bumping this thread in a few weeks looking for local assistance. Your further input is, of course, also welcome!

Sent you a PM with my cell, text me and I'll send you my timecert for it. It's not too bad, if I can do it anyone can.

Inactive
    Sent you a PM with my cell, text me and I'll send you my timecert for it. It's not too bad, if I can do it anyone can
    now THIS is one of the things that makes this site world-class.
    if i can also throw a suggestion into the mix....if you can't locate a board member in your locale to help then seek out a sportster tech. same basic set-up, easy job to do with cover off. try craigslist: wanted-sportster mechanic-help me remove primary cover and replace.
    it's pleasantly surprising what a free ad like this turns up. the cycle community full of very helpful folks.

PM onelogue he lives there.

Thanks again everyone for your support and suggestions! I am taking Miami up on his timsert offer. I figure if I'm taking the cover off, I might as well try the insert. If I mess it up too badly, I can always buy a new primary cover if it comes down to it. It is helpful knowing that I can leave the clutch cable inserted and just pull off the cover, drill and insert the timesert, replace the gasket, and put the cover back on. Add fluids and hope it holds!

Okay, I've got the time sert and the primary cover gasket and will be diving into this on Sunday. Was gonna have HD do it but decided that, worst case scenario, I fail at the time sert and need to order a new primary cover or have HD do it. May as well try it myself and learn from the experience. (Good or bad!)

Question going into this: it sounds like I can leave the clutch cable installed while removing the cover and drilling/installing the time sert? That sounds ideal to me. Please advise if this is not the case. If there is anything else I should know going into this I'm all ears! (I have a .pdf manual)

Also, anyone in PDX that wants free beer and entertainment as I bust my knuckles feel free to let me know! Also, keep an eye out for frantic posts on Sunday as I will undoubtedly mess something up along the way. :)

Okay, Im knee deep in this right now and am wondering if I need to disconnect the clutch cable from the clutch ramp assembly before removing the primary. The cover wont come off, and I loosened and disconnected the clutch cable from the clutch lever, loosened the primary chain tensioner, removed the primary cover bolts and the damn thing won't budge. Is it hanging on the clutch ramp assembly?

I've tried gentle tapping on the cover with my fist and a hammer (with wood block buffer, I don't have a rubber mallet). The cover seems to be separated, but it just won't come off.

Gah! Help very much appreciated.

okay, got the cover off and got the insert successfully installed! But I noticed a more problematic issue while inspecting the cover. There seem to be hairline cracks in the primary cover. Please see images below and tell me that this is normal. I don't want to reinstall a broken primary cover so may need to buy a new one if these are truly cracks and not just manufacturing blemishes. (please please please...)

Okay ladies and gentlemen. Got it back together, 'cracked' primary case and everything. My last and final question:

When put in gear while running, the bike whines/moans from the tranny area. Clutch adjusted too loose? Primary belt tightness/looseness issue maybe? I wasn't sure how tight to make the little flathead screw adjuster in the center of the clutch ramp assembly. Possibly this?

Please advise, I need this to be working to commute to school this coming Wednesday. Thanks everyone who has helped thus far!!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast