Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: High Mileage, Need Opinions.

Inactive
    ken: think of it in these terms: if it has clean title and you can get it for say $2300...then tear it down to the box and motor and replace all the perishables that haven't been attended to. do the brake pads, all fluids, clutch cable, wheel bearings, belt, tires if necessary, add heated grips, and live with questionable cosmetics. hell....the tall screen and the luggage on this bike are worth $600 alone. check the warm engine full throttle static compression before you do anything else but following my suggestions above and doing your own work you can have a darn nice ulysses for $3000. i say it's worth it but check the compression...the clutch pack...the trans operation before anything else.

Who uses the word 'profit' when thinking of a motorcycle purchase? At <$2500, you can buy it, drop a much younger motor/trans in it for under a grand if it dies and still have a great tourer for less than $3500. So you can't turn around and make a profit... Who cares? You won't lose your ass on it, and you'll enjoy the hell out of it while you have it.

It's not worth much? Don't pay much and you're not out much. Now go buy it. ;)

Yes i agree nice price. I would be willing to buy it if you dont want it

Thanks for the responses. I wouldn't be looking at a profit at all. Not looking to make one and am not in the business of flipping bikes.I was just stating that because I don't want people to get the idea that this is what I was after. I want to buy buells to own and keep on the road and possibly pass down to my boys when they get old enough and grow out of that awkward gixxer phase.

Lunatic, these are exactly the things I'm saying to myself right now so I'm glad that someone else is thinking on the same page as I am. Worse comes to worse, I can pick up a newer motor and transplant it and still be ahead.

Inactive
    Lunatic, these are exactly the things I'm saying to myself right now so I'm glad that someone else is thinking on the same page as I am. Worse comes to worse, I can pick up a newer motor and transplant it and still be ahead.
    ken: assuming you offer $2300 and seller accepts......for that kind of money i'd simply check for oil leaks, tightness of fasteners, static cranking compression(motor must be warm and at full throttle), replace the plug wires/plugs/air filter....and run it. i've seen several XB's hit the 80,000 mile mark and still run and sound good....and a few sporsters with well over 100,000 miles and running strong. i suspect the motor probably has alot of life left to it if ridden sensibly.

You better hope I don't find this before you buy it :)

I'm working a deal right now. Will let you know how it goes just waiting on some pics and info.

Buy it damn it!!

Hahahaha. I'm working on it. Now the question I have is, if I get it, is there anyone out there that will trade me their barricade orange plastics and low seat for the black ones?

That's almost exactly my ride, except I have an 09. Definitely buy this thing or put in a good word for me! Is there any maintenance records? I know I do not keep any, but worth asking I think? If it is well maintained it would be an excellent deal, if not still a good deal. I noticed in the pictures it is missing the underseat vent covers, not sure how easy they are to get? Also the trunks are excellent, you can fit a helmet in those. It does not look like it has a 3 bearing rear wheel, since the 3 bearing usually has a black axle that I know of, the one in the pic looks silver. Probably more important for 2 up riding, which I do a lot of. If well maintained all you would need is a comfort Kit, check/replace the wear items, relocate or do something so the ECM doesn't get squashed. Climb up on it, I literally have to, and go Ulying, Yes Ulying is different then just riding. Not sure how to describe it, just different in the way you love it or hate it. Ulying is what I do in my spare time, commute to work, weekends. sometimes at lunch just for fun. Uly on over to football game, or Uly on down the road, Uly on home.....

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast