Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Adding a Digital OIL Temp Gauge..

After plenty of research and trial/error and the want to know the oil temperature of the engine, I sat down and did it... I had a few options on where to add a sensor and found it most practical in the oil pressure switch outlet port while still having an operable factory pressure switch.

I bought a KOSO slim digital temperature gauge and sensor (the sensor included in the kit will not fit, need to buy one of the optional sensors).. First disconnect wire and remove oil switch; I used a brass tee-fitting & tied it into the port of the oil pressure switch (see pictures), Then install the tee fitting into the engine first then the oil pressure switch in the bottom, then the temp sensor on the side, tightened it all up and using teflon tape on all the fittings, then snaked the wire through the frame and to the front of the bike, Tapped into the 12volt connection port (same one that turns on automatically only when the bike is in the on position), & mounted the gauge above the cluster.. The oil pressure switch is still fully functional and the oil temp seems to be accurate so far; The only gripe is the digital gauge is semi hard to see during full sun, which I may have to mount elsewhere or try a new style however is just the right amount where its not blinding to the eyes at nighttime.. So far project costed me just shy of $100 bucks for everthing I needed I bought off amazon.. I wire loomed the entire harness from sensor to gauge & heat shrinked the two connections between sensor & gauge (not needed but precautionary)..

*During the install the only issue I ran into was with the tee fitting, being that on the 09's (and maybe other years) the oil switch port is very close to the filter mount; I had to grind down with a hand file the side of the T- fitting where the temp sensor installs very so slightly (really very little) of metal has to be shaved off the end/side in order to be able to rotate the fitting into the port tightly. And to mount the temp sensor the T-fiting had to be mounted out slightly away from the engine due to the lack of room to run sensor/wiring (see pics), however it does not interfere at all with riding or your feet. The engine oil pressure switch port is 1/8" NPT and the koso sensors are only available in MM metric, so the adapter fitting is requried to make this work (as the sensor is 10mm and the tee fitting is 1/8 NPT)

Parts needed: (all purchased off amazon)
    Koso North America Super Slim Temperature Gauge - BA024B11
    Koso North America Oil Temperature Sensor - M10 x P1.0 BF100100
    Koso North America Ultra Slim Mounting Bracket - BE006S00
    Metal Brass Pipe Fitting Street Tee; 1/8" Male Pipe x 1/8" Female Pipe x 1/8" Female Pipe
    1/8" NPT X 10MM BRAKE LINE Adapter Fitting (brand name: CNC)

ENJOY!!

Good for you! The gauge is a tad conspicuous for my tastes but I do lament that it's rare to find oil temp & pressure gauges on vehicles any more. It's great to know when you've reached operating temperature, & even better to know if you're overheating!

Beson, drooooool.

nice job

Cool idea on the Oil temp setup. What kind of temps do you see?

What exhaust system is that?

It's a Beson

very nice, great pics, nice write up and parts listing

Nice work!

It's a modified beson exhaust and it's been in the 40/50s here so I haven't been able to get a good ride in, but the highest I've seen it on a 30 minute ride (in the mid 40s) was about 140 degrees F, so we'll see what the warm weather brings to it during the summer

Banned
    Good stuff! Any update? What temperature range you see at warm weather?

Last edited by TPEHAK; 04-26-2017 at 03:50 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast