Thread: 01 Wont Start on Full Petcock only Reserve, Intermittent

I just picked up an '01 Blast for my wife. ~3500mi on the clock. It is running fine but she is reporting that it sometimes won't start if the petcock is in the normal "on" position. Turn it to "Res" and it starts fine. This is intermittent.

This morning bike started fine in garage from cold (~40*F over night). Fuel Tank was brimmed. She drove to work (12.5mi) and parked it with petcock "off". It was in the high 70's and sunny all day. When she went to leave work (mid 60's) set Petcock to "On" and started the bike up. Once the choke turned off she got on and turned the throttle and it died. She switched the petcock to "res" and gave it a few tries and it started up and ran fine all the way home.

This happened yesterday too. I tested it last night. I ran the carb dry with the petcock off and switched it to on and no issues.

I suggested maybe she's not turning the petcock lever all the way but would it matter if it's a degree or two off?

Any help appreciated.

~Travis

Pull the fuel line from the carb with the petcock closed and place it in a clean container, open the petcock to "on". Any fuel flow? If not, the primary siphon tube is most likely partially/completely blocked with trash. A small jet of compressed air into the fuel line with the petcock on MAY clear it without having to completely drain and pull it.

A small jet of compressed air into the fuel line with the petcock on MAY clear it without having to completely drain and pull it.
    hey lunatic, watch this. This is going to be funny.

Inactive
    hey lunatic, watch this. This is going to be funny.
    got it john. thanks for the heads-up.

I didn't say it wouldn't be messy

I took drained the tank and took the petcock off. It is sealing fine except for one thing (one drive won't do a straight .jpg link):

http://1drv.ms/1bYshRp

I got it bent back and we'll see how it works once I get the rockerbox gasket replace and get it back together.