Thread: Transmission Lock up

Hey all,
    Just looking to see if any fellow 1125R riders have had any similiar issues. I had the 1125 out and was just pulling onto the highway, so naturally I was hitting it pretty hard :D. I was just below red line in 3rd and when I went to shift the rear wheel completely froze on me. This was unexpected to say the least and a frozen wheel at triple digits put me on the pavement quick. Thankfully myself and the bike both low sided and slid to a stop. I ended up with a torn rotator cuff, broken wrist and a bit of rash on my lower back where the jacket rode up so nothing major considering lol. Bike went down on left side, broke the mirror, the clutch handle, shifter peg, and scratched up the plastics/ case/ footpegs. Also not too bad considering lol.

I started tearing into the bike yesterday. I've pulled the clutch and confirmed the tranny is seized up. 1st gear moves a little, neutral & 2nd gear move freely, and i can't shift it into 3rd.
    Hopefully I'll have everything apart tomorrow and can update yinz on what I find.

Before anyone says it yes i know about the 5th gear recall. but i was in 3rd ^.^
    It is an 08' BTW.

when you do tear down, pic's please of what you find. :(

I would imagine that it could still be from a similar cause to the 5th gear lockup recall. . .

Probably one of the worst things that could just randomly happen to a motorcycle next to a front wheel lockup, wheel flying off etc. .

whooooaaa... scary.

whooooaaa... scary.
    Yeah.. Glad you are ok and mostly intact. Please keep us posted.

I just had the same thing happen to me on my 08 Buell 1125r. I was in second gear coming out of a left hand curve when I shifted to third gear is seized up instantly before even letting out the clutch. Mine high sided and broke both my fib and tib above my right ankle and dislocated my right ankle.

What became of your bike? Did you figure out what was the cause? Is there anyone else that has had this same problem?

Mine too has had the recall performed on the bike.
    Last edited by Ol'Jeb; 07-28-2016 at 07:27 PM.

Jeb- sorry to hear about your wreck.
    BTW this thread is over a year old. It's a prime example of why it's so important to post back with solutions and findings.
    You addition to this thread does give it a good bump.
    Hopefully someone will be able to chime in with knowledge regarding your trans issue.
    If it were my bike I'd start disassembling the primary/clutch to see if I could find an obvious mechanical failure.

Try www.buellmods.com for a service manual. I know XB series manuals can be found there, not sure about 1125.

Good luck
    Hope you heal quickly.