Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Want to buy IAC

Nailed it !! badass.gif

I 'activated some surface energy' today and almost got arrested Close call!

Banned

Well duh...
    Thats what I said to the cop!

"Surface Free energy, or interfacial free energy, quantifies the disruption of intermolecular bonds that occur when a surface is created. In the physics of solids, surfaces must be intrinsically less energetically favorable than the bulk of a material (the molecules on the surface have more energy compared with the molecules in the bulk of the material), otherwise there would be a driving force for surfaces to be created, removing the bulk of the material (see sublimation). The surface energy may therefore be defined as the excess energy at the surface of a material compared to the bulk, or it is the work required to build an area of a particular surface. Another way to view the surface energy is to relate it to the work required to cut a bulk sample, creating two surfaces.

Cutting a solid body into pieces disrupts its bonds, and therefore increases free energy. If the cutting is done reversibly, then conservation of energy means that the energy consumed by the cutting process will be equal to the energy inherent in the two new surfaces created. The unit surface energy of a material would therefore be half of its energy of cohesion, all other things being equal; in practice, this is true only for a surface freshly prepared in vacuum. Surfaces often change their form away from the simple "cleaved bond" model just implied above. They are found to be highly dynamic regions, which readily rearrange or react, so that energy is often reduced by such processes as passivation or adsorption.
    The surface energy of a solid is usually measured at high temperatures. At such temperatures the solid creeps and even though the surface area changes, the volume remains approximately constant. If γ is the surface energy density of a cylindrical rod of radius"

But he disagreed and thought:

Sublimation is the phase transition of a substance directly from the solid to the gas phase without passing through the intermediate liquid phase.[1] Sublimation is an endothermic process that occurs at temperatures and pressures below a substance's triple point in its phase diagram. The reverse process of sublimation is deposition or desublimation, in which a substance passes directly from a gas to a solid phase.[2] Sublimation has also been used as a generic term to describe a solid-to-gas transition (sublimation) followed by a gas-to-solid transition (deposition).[3]

At normal pressures, most chemical compounds and elements possess three different states at different temperatures. In these cases, the transition from the solid to the gaseous state requires an intermediate liquid state. The pressure referred to is the partial pressure of the substance, not the total (e.g. atmospheric) pressure of the entire system. So, all solids that possess an appreciable vapor pressure at a certain temperature usually can sublime in air (e.g. water ice just below 0 °C). For some substances, such as carbon and arsenic, sublimation is much easier than evaporation from the melt, because the pressure of their triple point is very high, and it is difficult to obtain them as liquids.

The term sublimation refers to a physical change of state and is not used to describe transformation of a solid to a gas in a chemical reaction. For example, the dissociation on heating of solid ammonium chloride into hydrogen chloride and ammonia is not sublimation but a chemical reaction. Similarly the combustion of candles, containing paraffin wax, to carbon dioxide and water vapor is not sublimation but a chemical reaction with oxygen.

Sublimation requires additional energy and is an endothermic change. The enthalpy of sublimation (also called heat of sublimation) can be calculated by adding the enthalpy of fusion and the enthalpy of vaporization.

NO WAY! so I retorted:

"The enthalpy of vaporization, (symbol ∆Hvap) also known as the (latent) heat of vaporization or heat of evaporation, is the amount of energy (enthalpy) that must be added to the liquid substance, to transform a quantity of that substance into a gas. The enthalpy of vaporization is a function of the pressure at which that transformation takes place.

The enthalpy of vaporization is often quoted for the normal boiling temperature of the substance; although tabulated values are usually corrected to 298 K, that correction is often smaller than the uncertainty in the measured value.

The heat of vaporization is temperature-dependent, though a constant heat of vaporization can be assumed for small temperature ranges and for reduced temperature
    1. The heat of vaporization diminishes with increasing temperature and it vanishes completely at a certain point called the critical temperature (
    Above the critical temperature, the liquid and vapor phases are indistinguishable, and the substance is called a supercritical fluid."

and thats where the trouble started

"a chemical bond that involves the sharing of electron pairs between atoms. These electron pairs are known as shared pairs or bonding pairs, and the stable balance of attractive and repulsive forces between atoms, when they share electrons, is known as covalent bonding.[1][better source needed] For many molecules, the sharing of electrons allows each atom to attain the equivalent of a full outer shell, corresponding to a stable electronic configuration.

Covalent bonding includes many kinds of interactions, including σ-bonding, π-bonding, metal-to-metal bonding, agostic interactions, bent bonds, and three-center two-electron bonds.[2][3] The term covalent bond dates from 1939.[4] The prefix co- means jointly, associated in action, partnered to a lesser degree, etc.; thus a "co-valent bond", in essence, means that the atoms share "valence", such as is discussed in valence bond theory.

In the molecule H
    2, the hydrogen atoms share the two electrons via covalent bonding.[5] Covalency is greatest between atoms of similar electronegativities. Thus, covalent bonding does not necessarily require that the two atoms be of the same elements, only that they be of comparable electronegativity. Covalent bonding that entails sharing of electrons over more than two atoms is said to be delocalized."

He had had enough at that point so he took the PBR out of my hand and cuffed me right there in the trailer park

Sometimes you just have to concede that being right, isn't...
    Last edited by Cooter; 10-07-2017 at 10:50 PM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by TPEHAK View Post
    I measured the o-ring size for IAC seal: ID is less than 19.39 mm; Section width is about 1.89-1.91 mm. Durometer feels like about 75A. Material is probably Viton. The o-ring I measured is slightly squished so the sizes are not precise. It looks like one of these should fit
    https://www.mcmaster.com/#5267T29
    https://www.mcmaster.com/#9263K631

So as you can see you can buy dozens o-rings for price of one o-ring packed in Buell bag

https://www.sphdonline.com/products/...xb-models-u10b
    I have got today Viton o-rings from McMaster I ordered for IAC. Just want to confirm they both should fit as the original Buell IAC o-ring. They also have certificate, cure date, and shelf life info. Shelf life is 20 years. So there is no reason to buy expensive Buell genuine o-rings for IAC, just buy a bunch of them for cheap on McMaster and save a bunch of money. Or find same size and same hardness Viton o-rings I mentioned above somewhere else.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by lunaticfringe View Post
    P0284.5AA
    but i'm sure in some way you'll find fault with that info.
    Anyone knows what is the material for this fuel rail gasket? So I can buy a big sheet of this material on McMaster and laser cut a bunch of gaskets.

Banned
    OK, error 34 starts appearing again on hot engine. I sprayed carb cleaner on intake seals and RPM dropped to about 800 RPM after about 10-15 seconds after spraying. I sprayed on both rear and front flanges and had same result. So I believe they are leaking. It is time to try reseal the gaskets with Hylomar.

Inactive

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by TPEHAK View Post
    Anyone knows what is the material for this fuel rail gasket? So I can buy a big sheet of this material on McMaster and laser cut a bunch of gaskets.
    OK, I found marks on the genuine Buell IAC housing gasket. It looks like the gasket material is N-8090 Interface Solutions about 0.79mm thick (0.031")

So for the price of one gasket packed in Buell bag you can just buy big sheets of this material and cut a bunch of gaskets for your intake manifold.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Pc-Interf...xYko7Z&vxp=mtr

This gasket material is just blend of Buna-n (Nithrile) rubber and Aramid fiber. So here you go https://www.mcmaster.com/#9470k26/=19z4apv
    Last edited by TPEHAK; 10-26-2017 at 05:42 AM.

Jesus Christ man, just replace the intake seals with the better James intake seals. This is ridiculous, you are clogging up this thread with this nonsense. Now the actual solution to the original problem is buried in here. Make a new thread if you want to continuously try to to fix a problem you don't have.

Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast