Thread: 1125 CR/R Flyscreen

1125 CR/R Flyscreen

Here's something I got up this morning and started working on. It drove me kinda crazy that I had a Kick Ash airbox cover with a CR headlight I can't get a matching flyscreen for. So I bought a 1125 Kick Ash windscreen and started modifying both to make them fit. This is a rough fit. I still have a long way to go. But I thought you CR owners might be interested.

~
    Attached Images Attached Images

I got it all painted and buttoned up. The flyscreen is gloss black and the screw heads are phantom metallic to match the frame. It is cut to match the shape of the original CR flyscreen. But it looks a bit higher due to the hump in the center. I cant help but to wonder how this would look in cherry bomb red.

~
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by SEXT9; 07-19-2015 at 05:09 PM.

Way to think outside the box!

I like it alot. wouldn't mind knowing the details...process used for cutting both to fit. how it the wind deflection? has to be a little better than stock?

1.) I put the 1125CR fly screen up against the back of the 1125R windscreen and marked where the top edge will be with a sharpie. I cut near the line with a Dremel. I used a grinder to get up against the line and smooth the edge.

2.) Then I made a template out of paper by flipping the 1125R windscreen over. I taped a peice of paper to it and used the side of a crayon over it to get the U shape needed.

3.) I then untaped the paper and cut along the newly formed lines to finish the template.

4.) I centered and and taped my template to the 1125CR fly screen. Then I marked along the edges of the template where my cut marks would be. I cut along the lines with a Dremel.

5.) Then put the 1125R windscreen against the back of the CR fly screen and looked through it to see where you need to trim the excess off the mounting lip to adjust for the CR screen indentions on the sides. I used a sharpie to mark those edges. I kept trimming and cut there until it all started to fit together. Just don't cut into the part of the windscreen you will see from the front.

6.) From there on I just made minor adjustments to the cut edges of the CR fly screen until it all the edges started to look right.

7.) Once I had the right look. I marked 4 holes on the back side of the CR fly screen and drilled them. In retrospect though 6 holes, 3 on each side would be better.

8.) Then I put the 1125R wind screen in place and drilled the same holes through it.

9.) I installed the machine screws and nuts from the hardware store in the new holes.

10.) I then installed the assembly in it's place on the bike.
    Last edited by SEXT9; 08-29-2015 at 12:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by coaldigger View Post
    I like it alot. wouldn't mind knowing the details...process used for cutting both to fit. how it the wind deflection? has to be a little better than stock?
    I'm 6'4. I sit so tall on this bike if there was better wind deflection, I didn't notice it.

im curious how much extra you had to cut off the R fairing, I would like to make the fairing a little taller. I have the laminar lip and liked it on the last 500 mile ride I did. but its so ugly. So if this can be made 2-4 inches taller I think it would be a great looking alternative to the Laminar lip.

I cut the windscreen after I put it up against the CR flyscreen. There is a couple inches longer in the center it can go. It'll max out there without looking weird. But, to be honest you're not going to get extra wind protection with it longer. The curve of the windscreen apexes out about there.
    Last edited by SEXT9; 11-18-2017 at 09:14 PM.

so I just saw that you responded. Thank you! what about using a double bubble?

I bought projectors to do my retrofit, and I am doing red demon eyes with switchback halos and 3" strips for the sides. I just looked at your build for the projector and realized mine is going to look a lot like yours. I like the plate that you printed I might have to do something like that we shall see when the box gets here.