Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Thinking about a project...

Well, i fixed the intake leak. It looks like new flanges, HD seals and a metric sh!t ton of GMS (and a week to fully cure) solved my problem. Starts instantly, purrs like an kitten, the idle speed adjuster doesn't have to be maxed out anymore.

Next step is the brakes. The calipers and rear MC had sticky pistons so it looks like a complete rebuild is in order.

More to come!

Well, I rebuilt the front brake this weekend. Those pistons are super buttery right now. In fact, I wound up popping one out while doing a bleed with a basic syringe.

I picked up a set of HEL stainless brake hoses and the rear *seems* to be an inch or two too short? Anyone come across this before? I have the stock 97 Brembo single piston brake that uses a metal line from the banjo from the M/C to where the brake switch threads on.

Kind of like this:

I replaced my rear with a custom length HEL hose and used a banjo with a built in brake switch. I also swapped over to a Brembo rear master from a ducati at the same time.

I have a feeling I may have to go that same route. I haven't had a chance to rebuild the rear brake yet, but my holding it up against the old line, it comes up short.

I just want make sure I'm not missing a piece of info such as an additional piece needed or a hose re-route.

Thats a good looking bike, pur pony. You inspired me to get this project going! So its all your fault.

OK, so I picked up a late model swingarm to replace the steel (recalled?) one on my bike. Right now I'm in the process of polishing it up. Looks like I'm going to replace the isolaters while I'm in there.

I'm also planning on polishing up the lower fork legs and the trees when I dive into the fork rebuild. Anyone know if any special tools are needed for this? I've done many basic damper rod style fork legs in the past, as well as BUNCH of mountain bike fork rebuilds, so I have the basics.

OK, so here's where I am today. I've been buried with work and home remodel projects so the M2 has been taking a back seat. But, heres where I'm at so far.

Motor fires right up and idles smooth.

KT header- getting ready to mod a muffler to it and get it ceramic coated.

Updated front Y hanger

XB rocker boxes

Alloy swingarm- almost all polished up. Need to get some new isolators from Al at ASB.

PM wheels with Pirelli Diablos

Front and rear brakes rebuilt and working good.

New handlebar - Bike Master Daytona

I chopped the mounting caliper mounting tabs off my LH fork leg. Now in the process of polishing them up. Need to order some new bushings from Al at ASB.

I'm also looking to clean up and polish the trees while I have the fork tubes removed.

I'd like to do something with the rear pulley. I've heard about the Buell aftermarket pulley (Scorpion?) but it appears I missed the boat on those. Maybe having it machined out? Purpony?

I'm debating picking up one of those billet aluminum front mounts from ASB, however all they have left is the one for the XB head conversion. At first I was going to leave the motor stock, but then start noticed that mount is on sale, and it would be nice to pick up a few ponies with XB heads. Does anyone have a pic of a tuber motor with XB heads. I've heard some people call out that its a noticeable difference, but does it look funky or out of place? I've tried doing searches for a XB head conversion on an EVO motor, but came up with nothing (or did, and just didnt realize it).
    Last edited by 34nineteen; 12-17-2015 at 02:51 PM.

OK, so I pulled the forks and trees off the bike last night.

I pulled the fork apart, knocked off the brake mounts for the left side and am getting ready for a rebuild. I've ordered replacement fork bushings and seals, so this should go together quickly once the fork legs return from the polishers/powdercoat.

I'm sending the upper and lower trees, the fork lowers, the billet front fork brace, speedo mount (97), swingarm, ASB billet front motor mount, and rear brace (the one by the brake pedal) and XB rocker covers out to the polishers for a shining.

I was going to do it myself, but I just don't have the time and motivation to spend hours sanding out that rough casting finish on all these parts.

I need to send my rear pulley to Purpony (damn you Purpony and your eye candy X1!) for him to work some machine shop magic.

I also need to figure out what color to paint this thing. Its a mishmash of flat black, gloss black, gloss blue and red.

Sounds like you're making some great progress! I enjoyed reading all that but you've gotta get some pictures of your bike in there! The "before" pictures always make the "after" pictures much better.

I just picked up a 97 S1 and am gonna be going through a bit of the stuff you've been doing... fork rebuilt, brake rebuild/new lines, tear into the carb. It's almost spring so I'd love to have this thing on the road ready to go, but honestly I'm looking forward to cleaning it up just as much as I am riding it. My bike came with the normal Marchesini wheels, I know the PM wheels are the fancy ones people love, but luckily for me I never cared for them and prefer the look of the bike with the original wheels, so that'll save me some cash.

Don't forget the new axle and adjuster blocks for your swingarm! I know you can reuse the same axle with a few washers, but you'll definitely need the adjuster blocks. I always planned on doing the swingarm swap when I got a bike because the steel swingarms always looked bad in pictures. Now that I have the bike, the swingarm doesn't bug me in the slightest. I think it fits the bike well. Eventually I'll swap it I'm sure, but those are all ebay parts anyway, so I'll grab them someday down the line.

Also, just because you mentioned it and weren't sure how to tell if your swingarm was a recalled one.... the recalled steel swingarms are the ones that are all welded into shape. The good swingarms are the ones that curve around the front of the wheel. If the metal bends right behind your footpegs then it was probably a good swingarm.

Thanks for the input.

Yep, I wound up picking the adjuster blocks/screws and correct axle for the cast rear swingarm. I went through the hassle of polishing up the swingarm, as well as (most of the visible parts) of the mounting block.

I have a like new set of PM wheels on my bike now and really dig it, however... I wound up stripping down my Castalloy stockers and am in the process of polishing them up as well.

I'm highly considering cutting down and polishing the cam cover as well as polishing up the primary cover.

The bike is looking good right now, but still needs some odds and ends sorted out (as well as paint color!)

I think I've been discouraged from taking "before pics" since the painted parts all look terrible. Not really damaged, but mismatched/faded/etc.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123