Thread: personal suspension settings.

personal suspension settings.

im a 200 lbr. and set bike up as stated in twincycles....not right for me. Im wondering if you guys might post settings that you have on yours.

I love the idea of making a suspension setting sticky, but the problem is it's different for everyone, and there are always so many variables that people never include.
    Weight is a good starting point, 200lbs with all your gear on? Did you set the rear shock too? For some reason no one seems to do that.

HOW you ride is a very big factor. Are you commuting? Track days?

Your personal preference. Too stiff? Too soft? Wrists hurt? Bony butt?

The mechanics of it. What weight fork oil? Whats your sag? Whats your tire pressure? How tall are you (weight bias on the front).

The age of it. All new forks and 30k on a rear shock?

That's why there's no magic number for you You could get very very lucky with a guess, or do some simple reading on suspension tuning and lots of test rides. It takes me at least 10 miles or so to know if I like a change or not.

Tuning rules are pretty simple, now that you are at the starting point:

First, eliminate the variables. Make sure you are always at the same tire pressure. If you set it up for the street and drop the pressure for the track then you have to start all over…
    Make sure the components work and aren't worn (VERY important).
    If your forks have a preload setting (your 1125) check to make sure the rebound valves are set the same (I see that done wrong all the time on home re-built forks).

Only make ONE, small change at a time and ride it a lot (cold/hot, fast/slow) with that change.

Turn off the Metalachi on your earbuds and concentrate on what the bike is doing, and how you would like it different. Does the rear end get lower over lots of bumps then slowly go back to ride height? Then less rebound in the rear. Is the rear bouncing like a basekeball()? More rebound. Is it a jarring ride? Less compression. Does it hit the bumpstops? (especially with a passenger), more compression.

Write notes on every change so you can go several steps back if you need too.

Set your pre-load/sag front and rear FIRST. Then set compression. Then rebound. and do it all over again until it's 'right for you'.

Take the tools with you for back to back comparisons on the same stretch of road.

Sorry for the novella, But the same info is available (and written much better-er) by some great riders. Believe it or not, dirt bike forums are a good source for that info.

Coaldigger I guess your not going to pay me or return my rotor. I went out off my way to take care of you quickly and have not received the same treatment.

Quote Originally Posted by Puzzled View Post
    Coaldigger I guess your not going to pay me or return my rotor. I went out off my way to take care of you quickly and have not received the same treatment.
    Puzzled....im sorry about the rotor...i will ship it out on monday. We had a serious health issue with our daughter and to be honest with everything that has been happening, i forgot,
    I appologize.