Thread: Am I too big for a Blast??

Am I too big for a Blast??

Hey, this is my first post here! Be nice...

I've been a scooter rider for the past 7 years...stared on a Honda Reflex and then went to a Burgman 400 and finally had a Yamaha Tmax 500 for the past 5 years.
    I just sold the Tmax and want to get a genuine motorcycle.
    I'm looking at mid-'80s middleweight bikes...Shadow 500, GS450, CX500, etc...but I've always loved the look of the Buell Blast. It's a cool combo of simplicity and engineering ingenuity.
    Anyway, what I'm wanting is primarily a commuter. I drive 22 miles round trip every day and about half of that is suburban and the other half freeway.
    I'm 6'2" and 240lbs (and trying to get lighter).
    Is the Buell Blast a good bike as a commuting machine? Are there any quirks that I need to know about?

I've currently got my eye on one...an '07 w/ 1400 miles on it and it's bone stock @ $1900. Good price?

Thanks.

Inactive
    having ridden the v-twin shadow you mentioned....the vertical twin GS you mentioned....and the air-compressor CX you mentioned i can tell you you'll be extremely cramped on all 3 models. you're a fairly large guy and think the same will apply to you on the blast plus you run the risk of having that "monkey ****ing a football" appearance on a blast. don't know your price range but consider either a 600 or 750 katana. wonderful bikes on the cheap....roomy..bomb-proof drivelines...air/oil cooled... tons to choose from....tend to fit the larger riders much better than any of the 4 others you're considering. now let's here from the NFL linebacker-sized members who find blasts wonderfully comfy and roomy.

I purchased my ol lady's blast from a rather large guy. He had absolutely no comfort complaints just power complaints. Not saying it is for you as I am with lunatic on this one. But I would definitely go try and test ride one. You never know, you might love it.

I have an 03 that had the low seat and it was very cramped for me, 5'11" 220. I picked up the tall seat and it made a big difference. I still think its too small for me, but it works is a pinch. I actually bought it for my son when he wants to learn to ride and gets his license. There is a bit of a power issue with "bigger" people, and its an issue on the highway. It will get up to cruising speeds okay, but it is not a rocket and about 70-75 is max for me.

I ended up doing the "superboot" and intake kits, that made a world of a difference too. Just need an exhaust for it now.

I picked mine up for a steal awhile ago and plan to keep it as a backup bike, one for son, and for teaching others how to ride too.

Let me know if you have any other questions
    Jeremy

Thanks for the replies. Sadly, I had to pass on the Blast...as much as I love the look of it...because it just doesn't fit me, even w/ the tall seat.